Author Topic: How much do you bend the rules when sick?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline amheusser

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
How much do you bend the rules when sick?
« on: January 24, 2006, 18:33:14 pm »
We found out today R has an ear infection on both sides, so that explains some of her recent troubles.  But we've gotten to the point where I go up there every 30-45 min during her nap to resettle her, which I don't want to continue.  Nights are okay - last night she was so exhausted she passed out at 6:10 - but she's pretty well out before we leave the room, so she's not self-settling at all right now.   I don't want to do any retraining while she's sick, but I don't want these bad habits to get any worse, either.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Diegos Mama

Re: How much do you bend the rules when sick?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 18:49:37 pm »
I tend to go with what the child needs when sick, then get things back on track later.  Have you given a shot of Tylenol before the nap? Does that help?

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 19:04:25 pm »
I agree with Laura, and wouldn't worry too much about it now.  The antibiotics take a couple days before they take effect, so she is still in pain and explains why she is having a hard time sleeping.  Give it a couple days and she will be alot better!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline amheusser

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 13:07:49 pm »
I have been giving Ibuprofen, so I don't think it's really pain waking her (especially since she is mostly doing fine at night).  I think we've gotten into a bad habit, and she's never getting into that deeper stage of sleep because she wakes up & wants help.
Aubrey
-------------------------------

Diegos Mama

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 17:50:48 pm »
We went through a funky nap thing with Emilio just about two months ago.  He WOULD NOT settle down.  I finally held him down and gently whispered that I loved him and it was naptime over and over until finally he let go, relaxed and drifted off.

If the problem with Rachel one in which she's not falling asleep, or not staying asleep?

How dark is her room?
How long is she awake before her nap?
Recently started walking or saying new words?

Emilio's nap upset also seemed to jive with sep. anxiety and a newly found sense of accomplishment and realization of how much he could do with his language and control over his body.