Author Topic: 10 month old waking up at 3am!  (Read 3016 times)

Offline DJDG's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old waking up at 3am!
« on: January 25, 2006, 05:03:11 am »
Hi,
My 10 month old boy just started waking up at around 3 am every night for the last week. He is very good at falling asleep on his own at around 8pm and then I give a dream feed at 11pm. He usually will sleep until 6am and I'll feed him and he'll go back to sleep for another 2 hours. Sometimes he will sleep right through until 8am. It's just the last week that he has been waking up in the middle of the night, I try to comfort him and sometimes he'll fall back asleep for 10 minutes before he starts screaming again, I'll even give him Tylenol and it doesn't really help. I don't know what it could be, any thoughts?
Tara

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: 10 month old waking up at 3am!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 05:30:40 am »
Hi Tara

This is an interesting one  :)

My first thoughts are about the dreamfeed.  We have not done one here so I'm by no means an expert but I thought that typically you would stop the dreamfeed at around 7 or 8 months, once solid food is well established.  I wonder if the dreamfeed is now interrupting DS's sleep because he no longer needs it?  Perhaps someone else could give you some more info on that, if not on this thread then perhaps you could try one of the breastfeeding or bottlefeeding boards. 

Alternatively, if the Tylenol isn't working (so I guess you can rule out teeth) it could be that you are having some developmental wakings.  Has DS recently started crawling/standing/walking??  Or is he on the brink of doing one of those things?  Some babies react considerably to milestones, causing night wakings.

HTH
Jo

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 06:41:50 am »
As Jo said I'd be dropping the df as it could be causing the wakings... if Tylenol isn't working it is either developmental (normal in the 6-12month bracket) or caused by the df.

The digestive system is now (at 10months) fairly mature & the "digesting" while asleep can increase waking, because the metabolic rate changes when food is in the tummy during sleep.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline DJDG's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:19:25 am »
Thanks! You both have some good advice. I actually did skip the df one night last week and it didn't make a difference but maybe it will take a few tries. Also, I hadn't thought of it being developmental but now that you mention it, he is on the brinks of walking and talking, he says 5 words pretty clearly. Tonight I will stop the df permanently and see if that helps. Thanks so much!

Tara
Tara