Author Topic: how to introduce peanuts?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: January 25, 2006, 09:01:03 am »
so, i think everyone who is concerned about allergies will avoid peanuts.  we plan on waiting until ds is 4 or 5 years old as there are nut allergies in my family.

but what do we do then, do we just give him some peanut butter sandwiches and hover nearby wielding an epi-pen?  totally overdramatic, i know, but any advice/experiences? 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 09:03:12 am by zelda »

Offline janelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: how to introduce peanuts?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 11:06:15 am »
We too are holding off as dh has a peanut intolerance!  I have a friend though who drove to the local hospital and sat in the park there and gave there ds a peanut butter sandwich and then waited. :shock:  They were fine but if they'd had a reaction they were right outside emergency and so could go straight there.  May be a bit extreme but I guess if there is a history and you are worried it is better safe than sorry!
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 12:28:45 pm »
Quote (selected)
I have a friend though who drove to the local hospital and sat in the park there and gave there ds a peanut butter sandwich and then waited.

i lad to laugh when i read this.  i've also considered going to these extremes!  sometimes i have to wonder if i'm totally losing it.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 15:05:22 pm »
Not so crazy.  I used to have an egg allergy.  Hives and wheezing.  When I was 3ish, Mom arranged to take me to the clinic, sat in the waiting room with me and gave me egg custard.  Made sense to me when I was older and heard about it, still makes sense now.  But I have the extra info of being an asthmatic nurse.  I've felt broncospasm  :( and seen allergic reations :'( .  Not fun at all.  Kind of thought about introducing eggs to lo in a similar way. :D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 19:09:48 pm »
ds is allergic to peanuts and with dd I'm going to beg them to do the skin prick test first. I don't even want to risk one reaction. :(
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05