Author Topic: 10-month-old won't drink from anything but a bottle.  (Read 1294 times)

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
10-month-old won't drink from anything but a bottle.
« on: January 25, 2006, 14:22:11 pm »
Hi,

My ds is 10 months, and I am finding it a real struggle to get him to start drinking from a cup! He turns hysterical when I try, clamping his mouth shut. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Offline DJs mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Re: 10-month-old won't drink from anything but a bottle.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 15:01:55 pm »
We are kind of in the same boat.  I recently started using the Avent toddler spout inserts in place of teats in his bottles.  I'm not entirely sure what they are called but they are kind of more like a sippy cup spout and hard than a soft teat.  He took to these no problem and I'm hoping that this will mean he'll eventually be happy to just drink from a sippy cup spout thingy!  They are no spill with a valve but ds can still manage to suck from it quite easily.

HTH

Offline beccarman

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • happy families!!
Re: 10-month-old won't drink from anything but a bottle.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 18:28:07 pm »
my dd has found a normal cup (no teat or spout) the easiest to drink from, she got quite damp to start with but a bib with plastic on the back and fabric on the front really helped. it seemed hopeless at the start but i perservered and now she drinks a decent amount at each meal time.
you could see if any friends have differnt types of cups you could borrow so that you can try things out without having to buy loads, your ds might take to one really easily that you might have picked in the shop, plus you won't have wasted too much money.
bec xxx