Author Topic: Night bottle killing first morning bottle..... any ideas  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Night bottle killing first morning bottle..... any ideas
« on: January 25, 2006, 22:00:23 pm »
Hi. My son is waking once in the night for a bottle. IF he goes to sleep (this is a different prob.) at 8pm, it is usually between 4:30-6:00am. He will have a full feed and then when he wakes for the day, he will only want between 2-4 oz. This doesn't seem so bad right? Well, I am trying to move him to a 4 hr EASY and this makes him need a snack in between thus throwing off the routine. Any suggestions?

PS. He gets VERY cranky if I dint offer a full feed in the middle of the night. Should I try water? Does anyone else use water?

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Night bottle killing first morning bottle..... any ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 03:00:41 am »
Hello :D

If he does get cranky with smaller feeds, I would say that he probably still needs that feed.  I would go with the flow..though occassionally try to lessen it and see if he's ok with it.  Some babies need night feedings up to 6 months.  Since it doesn't seem to be the same time every night and it is a full feed, I would assume it's hunger vs habit and needs to feed.  Have you tried clusterfeeding or a dreamfeed?

:D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:34:32 am »
Hi.
do you give him a DF?
I do give Paul a DF at 11 and then he wakes sort of hungry at 5-6 and... bad momy confession :-X... i have been giving him water for the last 4 days.... and guess what ???... HE TAKES A FULL FEED AT 7:30-8ish  ;DYIIPEEYYY!!!!! ;D
 So maybe it will work for you too. ;)

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 09:05:50 am »
Hi I would try the dreem feed for a week and see how you get on. (We found when ds was on a 4hr routine he wasn't hungry enough for the dream feed. He would drink an oz and still wake again later. So not only did we have to stay up late but we had to wake in the middle of the night.)But not all babies are the same so it might work for you so do try it first, If that doesn't help and he still wakes at 4am I would try watering down the feed. I got the Idea from a sticky/post on nightwakings forum.

We tried it with DS it's the only thing that sends him back to sleep untill morning and it doesn't ruin his morning appetite.  You can start eg. if he drinks 5oz usually, offer 5oz water and 4 scoops of formula (or the amount of formula to make 4oz milk) try this for 2 nights. Then if he's happy reduce it again (the formula not the amount of water) by another oz. You should see that he will start to drink more in the morning.

Then you will have two choices, 1-find a happy medium were he still drinks his morning bottle and his night time one and continue offering it to him .

2-keep reducing the milk and probably by the time you get to 2oz of milk he should probably stop waking all together.

If he wakes after two hours and is hungry you will have to increase the amount of milk again by 1 oz the next night, so he is content. This didn't happen with us though, it was the only method which worked for us and didn't encourage night wakings or throw off our morning routine.

Hope this was of some help :)

Natalie x

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 05:16:54 am »
Thanks for the advice gals! I will give it a go!