Author Topic: Follow up Formula  (Read 1812 times)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Follow up Formula
« on: January 26, 2006, 06:31:16 am »
Hi,
I wasn't sure where I should post this but I was wondering about "follow up formulas".
What are your suggestions on them.  Should I put my 6 month old on one?
Any feedback would be great,
Thank you
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Follow up Formula
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 07:04:59 am »
I have just bought the follow up formula and i am going to give it a try over the next week. It contains more vitamins and iron that apprantly babies at 6 months start to get low on.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:59:12 am »
Just to give you another point of view...my pediatrician told me that I can stick with regular formula (which is much cheaper than follow-up), as long as I give DS cereal. The cereal is enriched with the extra iron and zinc that they get low on after 6 months. HTH

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 13:37:51 pm »
In the UK follow on formula is cheaper than the first milks!!

I did switch because it was cheaper but you can stick with the first milks if you wish as they are suitable for the whole of the first year. In the UK you cannot advertise infant formula so the follow on milk was invented so that the manufacturers could advertise their brands. Follow on milk is really a marketing con rather than something essential that you need to use.

Seona

Offline dinah34134

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 03:22:40 am »
we switched andrew to the follow up formula (or stage 2 formula) at six months.  it is a lot cheaper than the name brand firt milk formula but not as cheap as the no-name formula.  so he didn't drink the follow up formula for long b/c we just put him on the no name brand formula.

the follow up formula has more calcium in it than the other formula.

Offline Mom to Zach

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 04:15:48 am »
Hi There!

Thought I would post as I saw that you are also from Canada... and the brands I've used may also help?  I had asked my pediatrician and she said there was no need to change to follow-up formula.  We decided to switch our LO as it is cheaper and it has a higher calcium content.  We figured it would be a good change before starting him on cow's milk.  We have given Zach Nestle's formula right from the start (he was on formula and breast fed for the first four months until he weaned himself off of the breast).  We did try switching to the PC brand when he was approx 5 months however he wanted nothing to do with it! 

The transition to the Follow-up formula was very easy.  We just started with 1 scoop Follow-up formula to 3 of the regular... waited about 2 days for any issues (IE: poopie issues etc!!!), then 2/2 scoops, 3/1 scoops and then fully switched.  He had no issues at all!

Hope this helps if you do decide to switch!!!  :D

Shelley
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 04:26:28 am by Mom to Zach »
Shelley
Proud Mom of Zach
April 25, 2005
a Textbook Baby (we think!)

Offline RosieMum

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Mum to Rosie - Spirited/Angel Live in UK
    • Families Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 11:48:07 am »
I gradually changed from First Nilk to Follow on over about 3 weeks when my daughter was 6 months. I've been doing everything gradually with her feeding as I don't like the idea of 'shocking' her system too much. I'm probably fussing more than I should....
Come and visit us at Families Forum

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 06:11:40 am »
Hi,
Thank you for all the replies.
I did decide to switch to the follow up formula.  I use Isomil Soy Formula (as the doc, thinks he might have a milk allergy, which I disagree with, whole other topic) so the price between the to were the same.
I kinda feel bad now, I never knew you could mix the 2 formulas to gradually get him used to the new.  I just kinda switched.  I started it yesterday, everything seems ok so far ???
So much to learn :-\
Again thank you so much,
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline RosieMum

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Mum to Rosie - Spirited/Angel Live in UK
    • Families Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 16:49:41 pm »
I kinda feel bad now, I never knew you could mix the 2 formulas to gradually get him used to the new.  I just kinda switched.  I started it yesterday, everything seems ok so far ???
So much to learn :-\
Again thank you so much,

This is what I was told by HIPP (a German organic formula manufacturer) when I called them. I think I moved Rosie over to it when she was 5 months which they also said was ok. As she was quite young I gradually mixed them. Seemed to work a treat. I've done that with all of her food/drink intake. I've tried to make gradual changes so her tummy doesn't react (I know I'm probably being too precious, but I'm a born worrier) I did it with types and quantities and it seemed to have worked a treat. I know this sounds odd tho but I still can't bring myself to feed her meat as yet.... I know, I'm bonkers....
Come and visit us at Families Forum