Author Topic: HELP ! Can't get my 9 wk old to take naps in his bassinet  (Read 1016 times)

Offline klee94123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP ! Can't get my 9 wk old to take naps in his bassinet
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:07:53 am »
The second I lay my son down in his bassinet for his naps, he starts wailing.  He'll only sleep if he's in his bouncy seat or swing.  Any advice on how I can get him to take a nap in his bassinet??

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
Re: HELP ! Can't get my 9 wk old to take naps in his bassinet
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:41:46 am »
Congratulations on your son and welcome to the board! 
Have you read about pat/shush, which is a technique to help calm and soothe lo's while learning to fall asleep on their own?

is he swaddled?
what is his routine including awake times?
does he use a paci?
do you use white noise?

please elaborate more and we can see if we can help.
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline klee94123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 20:55:30 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

We have tried the pat/shush, but it only sometimes works.  He just continues crying.  The longest I pat/shush was 10 minutes ~ he was crying at the top of his lungs and I couldn't let him cry any longer.  When I pick him up, he continues to cry for another 5-10 minutes until he starts to calm down.

He's not swaddled ~ he doesn't enjoy it and stopped swaddingly him at 2 weeks.  He likes to sleep with his arms stretch out above his head and he is quite a kicker.   
As for his rountine, he usually wide awake after his feedings.  Sometimes, I put him in the bassinet with the mobile on, sometimes I carry him around hoping the movement will lull him to sleep.  When he's really wide awake, we spend some time playing, talking, etc.  But I try to get him to take a few naps during the day. But, the only thing that gets him to sleep is his swing.  He falls asleep almost instantaneously.  Last night, he was up crying for about 4 hours (he's a bit on the colicky side).  We tried rocking him, using the paci, pat/shush, but nothing worked.  We finally couldn't take it anymore and put him in the swing.  In about 2 minutes, he stopped crying and fell asleep.  After 15 minutes, I moved him to his bassinet and pat/shushed him for a few minutes to get to back to sleep.   
He uses a paci occasionally.  We give it to him when he's been particularly fussy.  The problem with a paci is he sometimes wakes up crying when it falls out of him month.  We've tried using white noise, the radio, the mobile, CD's with sounds of vacuum cleaner, etc, but he doesn't seem to notice. 

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.  We really want to teach him how to fall asleep on his own. 

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 22:48:18 pm »
Hello,
How long is your lo's A time? It sounds like he may be a little overtired, and that the swing is working by calming him so that he can sleep. Have you tried putting him to sleep a little sooner, watching for his sleepy cues?

Also, have you checked out this thread:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php/topic,39164.0.html

There's some great stuff in there that may help you. Have a look at the top of the Naps forum, there are some really useful threads there to have a good read through.

HTH, let us know how you are getting on
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston