Author Topic: Easy Routine for 3 week old?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Leah67

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Easy Routine for 3 week old?
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:48:02 am »
I have a 3 week-old boy.  I am breastfeeding, though not enamoured with it.  My flow is fast and furious - and chokes the little guy, so I have to feed, burp, feed, burp, etc.  He is a fast eater - can be done in 10 minutes (if don't have to stop too many times to stop him from choking).  This results in lots of gas, etc.  I think it also results in him 'snacking', because he can be hard to burp.  He gets to a point where he can't eat anymore unless he burps, but if he can't burp, he just won't eat more, thus...

My question is that I am quite discouraged about EASY and/or breastfeeding with him, as he often seems to want to eat every hour during the day.  This may be because he can't get in a complete feeding because of my flow.   

I also have a 17 month old, who also had trouble with my flow.  I know it gets easier as they get older (they can handle the flow), but today, I just want to quit.  It's so hard to get out or plan anything without knowing when he will eat, etc.

Also, if a baby can eat in 10 minutes, (forgetting about the burping problems for the moment), how does the 3 hour schedule work then?

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Easy Routine for 3 week old?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:06:41 am »
Hello and Welcome!!  :)

As far as EASY goes, if your baby is done in ten minutes..you would then have A time.  At his age it will be diaper change, cuddling and cooing or any other fun thing you'd like to do...watch for him to yawn which will probably be between 30-45 minutes.  Try to keep things pretty low key when you're coming up on 30 minutes to help avoid overstimulation.  When you see he's tired, I would start his windown routine and put him down for his nap.

HTH  :)

...also, for help with the bf issues, you might want to try posting in the bf forum.  The mods there are great and have excellent advice.  {{HUGS}}.
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline rachelle26

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 22:39:33 pm »
I agree with Noella... I started the EASY routine from birth... at least some form of it.  If he's done eating in 10 min that is great... I too bf and my guy (2months old) is just now taking only 10 min to eat.  I'm wondering though if he wants to eat every hour that he's really getting a full feeding.  I've heard there are ways to ease your flow (pumping before hand some of the milk out) and positioning, like having them lay on your chest to eat so they are pulling the milk out and it doesn't flow as quickly (but I'd check the BF forum too) if he has a full stomach then he will not need to eat as often.

I found with my LO that I had to wake him to feed every 3 hours... as he just wanted to sleep and his awake time was more like 30 min vs an hour or more.  :) 

Not sure if any of that helps but just keep working on it, it will come...
Rachelle
Mom to Cale

Offline Leah67

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 04:30:52 am »
Things are a bit better now.  I 've accepted that he just can't take the flow well, so I stop, let him rest, then continue, etc.  Try to feed him laying down a lot. 

Still, feedings never take 40 minutes.  However, I guess I should feel blessed.

My question was more - okay, activity should be 30-45 minutes.  Sleep should be 1.5 hours.  Add 30 minutes for a feed, and you still only have less than 3 hours.  so, of course he's going to feed shorter than 3 hours?

Offline rubylou's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 12:58:43 pm »
Hi Leah67, i also have a 3 week old, am breastfeeding and trying to follow EASY.  The only difference is my dd is my first child.  I have similar problems, my lo feeds for 10-15 mins, i then change her bum she usually starts crying then calms down. I try to wind her down for a nap sometimes it works but mostly she cries and is sick or needs burping, by the time she's finally ready to sleep an hour or sometimes 2 has passed!! So although she doesn't want to feed every hour, she's taking so long to settle after a feed. I'm not sure if it's wind or reflux or if she's just over tired??  The longer she's awake the more confused I get because then i'm not sure if she's crying because she's hungry again?!  And if she does go to sleep i'm then not sure when to wake her!!  I'm keeping a log, the health visitor is due on Friday so will ask her but any advice welcome in the meantime!

Offline rachelle26

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 14:31:33 pm »
I would say for a 3 week old that activity time would probablly run closer to 15-20 min at least it did for my LO and then sleep is much longer than 1.5 hours...I would think that if your LO is eating in 10-15 min then activity time would be anotheer 15-20 and then it would be time for sleep.. depending on how awake/alert your LO is.  Mine would be so sleepy through the whole feeding and the wake time was literally a diaper change and back to sleep... then I'd be sure to wake him 3 hours after the last feed and feed again... my LO didn't have much awake time at all at 3 weeks... in my experience sleep was more like 2-2.5 hours.

Not sure if that helps.
Rachelle
Mom to Cale

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 18:02:02 pm »
Same thing with my littly guy!

He was done eating VERY quickly. I was always wondering if he was getting enough! And I guess he was and is since his weight gain is great. I was also keeping a close watch on the number of wet diapers just to always make sure his intake was good.

His activity time pretty much resumed to a diaper change also. And then wind-down and bed time! If not, he would get overtired and overstimulated! Which just makes everything worse and confusing! He is now 8 weeks and his activity time still isn't much... I need to be extra carefull cause overtiredness happens so quickly and is so underdiagnosed...
So yeah, your little one needs more sleep at his age. His awake time will slowly increase though. Just make sure to watch for signs and follow them even though it might seem too early to you. Don't forget that overtiredness carries itself from one nap to another. And some little ones take longer to wind-down than others.

As for their feeds, if you have ruled out that they are getting enough by watching diapers and weight gain, I would not think it is hunger anymore (easier said than done, I know...) and just stick to feeding within the 2 1/2 to 3 hour timeframe.

My little guy is now 8 weeks, still eats quickly, but is pretty much on the 3 hour feeding mark. The nights are pretty much o.k. but naps are still rough... I think I still miss the tired window. But from the little experience that I have, if you have the will to stick with the routine, thing DO get better, although the first weeks are rough! So if this is what you are willing to do, hand in there! You are not alone! :)
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008