Author Topic: TMI Gas and poop question  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
TMI Gas and poop question
« on: January 27, 2006, 02:40:32 am »
Grayson (3.5 mo) is soooooooooooo gassy.  ALL the time.  And it smells TERRIBLE.  It dosen't seem to bother him at all. (only us )  So is this normal?  I'm worried because I want to be sure he isn't allergic to something I'm eating.  He is also starting to have a thicker BM.  It used to be yellow and pretty thin.  Now it is like yellow paste.  I know gross but I just want to be sure it is okay.  Again he dosen't seem upset at all.  TIA

oh and he is EBF (yeah me :D ;))
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Re: TMI Gas and poop question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:10:46 am »
Woohooo you're nursing!!!!

I remember the bms getting a lot thicker 3-6 months. Pretty nasty, huh? My sis has a lo 11 weeks and she says the gas is awful too, waking her dd up from naps and nighttime. They just eat so darn fast and on/off, sucking in air too.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:18:45 am »
oh yeah!  Sounds normal then :)  And the gas smells bad?  I guess i assumed his little toots were gonna be scent free :D  Since he is EBF.  And his poop used to smell sweet  :o  Now it dosen't smell like a forumla fed baby but not like in the beginning.  Is my little sweet pea just getting older ???
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline webfoot

• Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 06:48:18 am »
I'm so excited for you that you are still going strong on bf!

Totally normal. WithEvan dh was forever saying he smells so bad you need to change him and I'd look and nothing was in there. And they do start to thicken their stools after the first bit, but you shouldn't get really solid stools until they start eating a lot of solid food.

Are you enjoying it? I have to admit I am enjoying it finally... third time is the charm.

Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 16:28:01 pm »
Yup, dd have terribly stinky toots. I always wondered if it had something to do with a dairy free diet? Maybe not. ::)
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 19:32:41 pm »
Kayna, that is a honest thing to ponder.

Jennifer, is he taking anything other than bm, like Mylicon or reflux meds? That may make a stink. Our Prevacid was wonderful but boy did the poop stink.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 15:46:47 pm »
Yes, Prevacid!  That could be it.

Also, I found out I have an allergy to sugar :o  So now that I have cut WAY back things have greatly improved with his gas.  Wierd huh?
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 22:02:32 pm »
Jennifer and Stacy - are both of your kids on Previcid?  Palmer is on Pepcid and I am wondering if it is really working?  We are seeing a GI doctor on Tuesday so I want to be prepared to ask about different medications.  I know that Previcid and Prilosec are usually the second line of defense... did you guys try Pepcid/Zantac first?? 

I am also doing the dairy free/soy free diet... but question if they is really it.  No blood was found in his stool.  It seems like everything I eat effects him... garlic, tomato products, oj, soda, UGH... I should be skinny by now!!!

Sometimes he pulls off by breast and just screams... it makes me want to cry.
Cassie (Formerly Duncan'sMom!)
Mom to Duncan 9/15/02 and Palmer 11/28/05

"Motherhood, like an addiction, must be taken one day at a time".

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 00:58:27 am »
Hi Cassie!  We tried Zantac first with no success.  We switched to Prevacid and it has been great.  I actually started to wonder if he needed meds at all so I stopped Prevacid and he started throwing up again.  So he still needs it.  Wow dairy AND soy free.  It is hard enough for me to do dairy free.  Another thing I avoid is beef.  It is similar to cows milk.  I limit chocolate and drink NO dark soda.  I think anything with acid can affect them.  Let us know how the GI visit goes.

Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 01:54:53 am »
We went straight to Prevacid, had a great doctor. I tried to wean him several times off it, and finally did successfully at 9 months. I think we always question "is it my diet, is it really reflux, is it just his age" etc. The Prevacid is not super easy(although not too hard) to administer unless your insurance will pay for a compounding pharmacy. It comes in a powder that you mix with a little water and give immediately with a little syringe.

What I found out many months later is that it is me with the soy intolerance. My body's reaction to the soy may have been what caused so many of our problems.

Cassie, just get him to where he is feeling better. Then add back either soy or milk and see how he does. The Prevacid takes a little bit to work, but wow what a different baby I had. He slept so much better and I did too, makes life so much easier to deal with!
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 19:23:06 pm »
I have been dairy and soy free for over 3 weeks, so I added back regular bread last week.  He seemed fine.  So Friday night I had one very small piece of pizza.  He seemed fine.  Sat night I went to a party and ate a few things with cheese.  He seemed fine.  Now Sunday dh taked me into getting a Wendy's hamburger and fries.  Last night Palmer was up at 1:30am, 3:30am and 6am.. very very uncomfortable.  Note that he has been sleeping through the night (one wake up at 4ish and he has even slept until 7am!) since 4 weeks or so.  It is daytime sleep and fussiness we have issues with.  Plus he must sleep propped like he is in a chair.

So now I wonder if it is dairy.  Maybe it is just soy.  I need to look at the Wendy's website to see if they use soybean oil or soy in their burgers.  Or maybe he just didn't have an immediate reaction to the dairy.  Or maybe it is something else entirely.  UGH.

Oh yeah.. the most upseting thing is that night last he started nursing horribly.  He is so frantic and squirmmy that it is like a wrestling match.  My nipples are killing me.  He has to be uncomfortable in some way as he usually nurses fairly well.

Thanks for responding!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 19:25:01 pm by Cassie »

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 19:33:54 pm »
Cassie, isn't it frustrating! Anything else that it could have been, were his naps too short yesterday so he was overtired?

I found that the reaction time was usually 6-48 hrs for food. I'm not sure on the Wendy's burgers. I would guess something in the buns if anything. I'm soy intolerant but tolerate Wendy's burgers just fine.  :-\
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 03:59:01 am »
I just don't know what to do with him really.  We had a GI appt on Wed and she switched him to Prevacid and Carafate.  We only switched him because of this new struggle with nursing as besides that he has been doing fairly well.  So we have been on it for 2 days and the nursing is getting worse.  Tonight he refuse to eat.  So let him fall asleep and then nursed him.  I have just never experience this refusal to eat thing.  Duncan would eat anything placed in his mouth (and puke half of it up:)!

Also Stacey I think I remember you saying that you dissolved the pills in water?  We got ours made into a liquid; however, I am struggling to get him to take it.  No matter what I do he ends up spitting half of it out.  I found a pharmacy that will flavor it, but I can't switch the prescription until next month. 

Jennifer was yours liquid?  If so, how did you get your lo to take it??

UGH.

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 16:15:50 pm »
We used Prilosec which is similar to Prevacid.  And we had it as a flavored liquid.  Dd got used to it and near the end was sucking it out of the syringe so persistence paid off.  I'd give a little bit in the very back of his mouth at a time, far enough back that he almost has to swallow it.  And if you find that he has trouble with the first flavor you try, try another one.   :)  Dd got used to the flavor we usually had and then the pharmacy switched it one time and she wouldn't take it.  They get used to it fairly quickly though if it's fairly "nice" tasting i.e. flavored.  Dd was on it from 2 weeks until 9 months.  And it does take a few days to get into their system so I'd hang in there another few days and see how it goes.  Good luck!

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 16:53:58 pm »
Cassie-Grayson is on Prevacid granuals.  It is a powder you mix with a little water and give in a dropper or syringe.  He takes it well.  It smells like it would taste good.  Does Palmer take a bottle?  Just wondering if he refuses to eat from that as well.  I have a terrible time with Grayson sometimes refusing to eat from the breast because he dosen't want to work that hard.  (lazy ::)) Any chance that is it?  Are there other times he seems to be in pain or only at the breast?
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 22:32:51 pm »
I had to lay Max flat on his back to take the meds, little bit at a time. He took almost a week before I saw the Prevacid working. Keep it up and see if you feel better about it in a week.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 22:24:42 pm »
Walgreens didn't even attempt to flavor it.. so it is NASTY.  Tastes like Alka Selzer.  You would think they would see it was for an infant and at least tell me it tastes nasty.  I am going to switch to a compounding pharmacy next month so they can flavor it.

Also I found a medicine pacifier that allows me to at least get it into him, but it is a fight.  He will take a bottle however I don't want him to start associating the bottle with this.  If he stops taking it I will be chained to the house for the next year!!!  LOL!

Anyway he seems to be nursing better the last day or so, so I hope it is working.  He was actually doing fine on the Pepcid except for the nursing issues so that is why we switched him.  Otherwise I would have just preferred to just stay with the Pepcid.  So either my dairy/soy avoidance is working or the Prevacid is working... I am going to give the diet 1 more week and then add a few things so we shall see.

Thanks guys.  I wonder why they made Palmer's Prevacid into a liquid and didn't just give me the granules? 

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 01:38:25 am »
Hmmm, maybe since it is easier? Although when I had ours compounded, it was only "good" for a certain number of days before it "expired". I don't remember the flavoring, but I do know it stained several towels and outfits. The granules were not as convenient, but at least I could get a whole month supply. Which I still have about a half months supply of in the cabinet.  ???

So is he nursing better for you then?
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 02:42:49 am »
okay I have had a NIGHTMARE flu.  Throwing up and TERRIBLE body aches.  I tell ya I have never had to go through being that sick AND feeding another human being.  Anyway, his gas was soooooooo much better yesterday and today.  So it has to be something I'm eating but I just cannot imagine what.  I think I'm going to try to cut WAY back on sugar.  Any other thoughts on what it could be?
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 19:27:58 pm »
Could you be missing anything with milk in it? Hidden milk?

Wow, how did you find out about the sugar allergy????

Think of anything you have every day or nearly every day. Orange juice? Coffee? (Non-dairy creamer?  ;)) Tea? Something that may be affecting him. Soy is the next big one to cut. Nuts. Wheat. I would only do one at a time, or consider if anything bugs your stomach.

You may need to nurse more frequently while you are ill. Poor thing! Everyone seems to have that awful bug right now.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 23:39:46 pm »
yeah they said the flavoring decreased the shelf life to 2 weeks.  I have been putting a pinch of powdered/sweetened koolaid in it and he takes it a little better.  I hate doing that, but dont' have a choice.  So when you do the granules, does it just come in a big packet for the whole month or several little ones.  Does it dissolve easily or is it a pain?  I can't decide what to do.

He is nursing better, but spitting up a bit more.  I ate a little bit of dairy today so we shall see.

Jennifer.. sorry to hear you were sick.  That nastiness is really going around.

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 00:56:44 am »
The granules we used came in 15mg packets (I think that's the size). We did 5mg 2x/daily. So I eye-measured about a third of the packet for each dose. I mixed it in a tiny cup with a little bit of water, and used a syringe to suck it up and into his mouth. He really got to liking the taste. It dissolves pretty easy but the granules themselves stay whole, you don't break them up because they have to go to the stomach whole. Time-release or something like that. Sometimes the granules got stuck in the syringe, which was a PITA.

If I could choose, I'd go to the pharmacy every two weeks for the flavored stuff. Although... the granules were so much easier for trips/being out of the house. Tough choice!!
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies