Author Topic: TMI Gas and poop question  (Read 3563 times)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Re: TMI Gas and poop question
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 22:32:51 pm »
I had to lay Max flat on his back to take the meds, little bit at a time. He took almost a week before I saw the Prevacid working. Keep it up and see if you feel better about it in a week.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 22:24:42 pm »
Walgreens didn't even attempt to flavor it.. so it is NASTY.  Tastes like Alka Selzer.  You would think they would see it was for an infant and at least tell me it tastes nasty.  I am going to switch to a compounding pharmacy next month so they can flavor it.

Also I found a medicine pacifier that allows me to at least get it into him, but it is a fight.  He will take a bottle however I don't want him to start associating the bottle with this.  If he stops taking it I will be chained to the house for the next year!!!  LOL!

Anyway he seems to be nursing better the last day or so, so I hope it is working.  He was actually doing fine on the Pepcid except for the nursing issues so that is why we switched him.  Otherwise I would have just preferred to just stay with the Pepcid.  So either my dairy/soy avoidance is working or the Prevacid is working... I am going to give the diet 1 more week and then add a few things so we shall see.

Thanks guys.  I wonder why they made Palmer's Prevacid into a liquid and didn't just give me the granules? 
Cassie (Formerly Duncan'sMom!)
Mom to Duncan 9/15/02 and Palmer 11/28/05

"Motherhood, like an addiction, must be taken one day at a time".

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 01:38:25 am »
Hmmm, maybe since it is easier? Although when I had ours compounded, it was only "good" for a certain number of days before it "expired". I don't remember the flavoring, but I do know it stained several towels and outfits. The granules were not as convenient, but at least I could get a whole month supply. Which I still have about a half months supply of in the cabinet.  ???

So is he nursing better for you then?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 02:42:49 am »
okay I have had a NIGHTMARE flu.  Throwing up and TERRIBLE body aches.  I tell ya I have never had to go through being that sick AND feeding another human being.  Anyway, his gas was soooooooo much better yesterday and today.  So it has to be something I'm eating but I just cannot imagine what.  I think I'm going to try to cut WAY back on sugar.  Any other thoughts on what it could be?
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 19:27:58 pm »
Could you be missing anything with milk in it? Hidden milk?

Wow, how did you find out about the sugar allergy????

Think of anything you have every day or nearly every day. Orange juice? Coffee? (Non-dairy creamer?  ;)) Tea? Something that may be affecting him. Soy is the next big one to cut. Nuts. Wheat. I would only do one at a time, or consider if anything bugs your stomach.

You may need to nurse more frequently while you are ill. Poor thing! Everyone seems to have that awful bug right now.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 23:39:46 pm »
yeah they said the flavoring decreased the shelf life to 2 weeks.  I have been putting a pinch of powdered/sweetened koolaid in it and he takes it a little better.  I hate doing that, but dont' have a choice.  So when you do the granules, does it just come in a big packet for the whole month or several little ones.  Does it dissolve easily or is it a pain?  I can't decide what to do.

He is nursing better, but spitting up a bit more.  I ate a little bit of dairy today so we shall see.

Jennifer.. sorry to hear you were sick.  That nastiness is really going around.
Cassie (Formerly Duncan'sMom!)
Mom to Duncan 9/15/02 and Palmer 11/28/05

"Motherhood, like an addiction, must be taken one day at a time".

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 00:56:44 am »
The granules we used came in 15mg packets (I think that's the size). We did 5mg 2x/daily. So I eye-measured about a third of the packet for each dose. I mixed it in a tiny cup with a little bit of water, and used a syringe to suck it up and into his mouth. He really got to liking the taste. It dissolves pretty easy but the granules themselves stay whole, you don't break them up because they have to go to the stomach whole. Time-release or something like that. Sometimes the granules got stuck in the syringe, which was a PITA.

If I could choose, I'd go to the pharmacy every two weeks for the flavored stuff. Although... the granules were so much easier for trips/being out of the house. Tough choice!!
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies