Author Topic: 2 to 1???  (Read 1329 times)

Offline earls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:19:10 am »
Hi all
i'm a little confused right now so could do with some help!!
my little man was having napping problems a while ago for which you all helped me and things were back on track but for the past week he is figthing his naps etc again
i am thinking that he is still young to go to one nap but he is a very wired baby so i think he may be ready(not sure tho)
yesterday, he didn't want his am nap at 9.30, so i left it and hoped he would make his pm nap
it was a struggle, but he went to sleep at 12.30 but woka after only just over an hour, so was soooo cranky by bedtime which i had to put him down and we was fast asleep at 6.30, then got up at 5.45am this morning
i am still keeping him up as he doesnt want to sleep, but i am just worried he wont be getting enough sleep
will it take a while to adjust or should i go back to perservering with 2 naps
his sched before yesterday was
7.00-awake
9.30-nap1
9.55-awake
11.30-lunch
1.00-nap2
2.00-awake
7.00-bedtime
i was hoping he would extend his pm nap if he dropped his am nap???
please please help me as i am getting tired of all this fighting at nap times

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: 2 to 1???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 17:13:03 pm »
Hi, can you remind me how your LO is?

Offline earls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 18:44:39 pm »
hi there
sorry for the late reply
he is 11months on the 2nd Feb

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 05:18:49 am »
Hi,

I would try to stay on the 2 naps for a bit longer if you can.  Have you tried extending his A times? 

You could try:
10am - nap 1 no more then 60min
2 or 2.30 nap 2 no more then 120min

if needed you can push bed back to 7.30.  When my LO was this age, i cut her night sleep back to 11.5hr and found that the 2 naps went much smoother.

I hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Offline earls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:19:55 am »
hi
the problem i have is the timing of the 2nd nap
if i could put him to sleep at 2/2.30 im sure he would sleep ok but i have to leave the house at 3 to pick up my older son from school so i need to put him to sleep at 1.30 at the very latest at which time he isnt tired enough if hes slept in the morning even for half an hour
as its so cold here too i like to leave 10mins or so from when he gets up to when we leave as i have to wrap him up etc and dont want to take him out straight away after hes been warm in bed to being freezing outside
i think this is the real cause as he does go to sleep after a fighting but then gets up soon after as hes not tired enough which results in him being tired by 5
yesterday i didnt give him a morning nap either(been 3 days since he had one) so i put him down at 12.20ish and he was up before 2 so didnt have a good nap then either so he was really struggling and was in bed by 6.30
so.....i really dont know now what to do
if you think he shd still have a morning nap i can go back to it, but shd i maybe really shorten it or what?
i am soooo confused now(doesnt take much with me:o) asi dont want to deprive him of sleep either

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 04:12:23 am »
Hi, oh yes i remember now...the school run - hummm.

Quote (selected)
if you think he shd still have a morning nap i can go back to it, but shd i maybe really shorten it or what?
  I was discussing a similar case w/ one of our nap mods and she reminded me that Tracy says in her second book in the EASY chapter that all babies are different as to what age they move to 1 nap.  In your case it sounds like it might be est to keep w/ the 1 nap for a while and see how he does.  Look out for night waking, as one sign he isn't ready.  Give his body time to adjust to the 1 nap, i was worried my lo wouldn't extend her nap time (at first she slept for 1.15hr, same time as her previous am nap).  I then did awake to sleep at the 1hr mark and she started sleeping for 2hrs.  Now her naps range from 1.45 to 2.30hrs. 

During the transition process it's okay to put him down earlier.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions and how it goes.  Also the sticky at the top of this forum "2 to 1" has great tips on the first few pages.

PS: for a while i would give my LO a very short catnap at her old nap time, 20min and no more.  It also helped to feed her a snack at that time and make her rest w/ a stroller walk or run and errand.

Offline earls

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 19:54:59 pm »
Thank you for your help
i'm going to stick to the 1 nap then for while longer and see what happens
i may try the wake to sleep then for this nap as hes not even sleeping 1.5 hours all day and is really cranky by bedtime
ill keep you posted
thanks again