Author Topic: Activity Ideas for 8 month old  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Activity Ideas for 8 month old
« on: January 27, 2006, 15:38:35 pm »
Hi -

My dd is 8 months old and she is able to stay up longer and I feel I need more ideas of what to do with her.  She is a great independent player so I really need things that we can do together.  I feel I am not interacting with her enough.  Her current activities are:

-  Tummy time with toys in front of her that she can grab.  She does not love this and gets tired quickly but I know it is important.
-  She can sit up and play with soft toys, rattles, blocks.
-  We have the leapfrog learning table and she likes this ok.  Just getting used to it.
-  Baby Einstein play gym.  She lays on it and grabs at the toys.
-  Exersaucer.  She really enjoys this.
-  Jumperoo.  Another favorite.
-  We read books and I sing to her.
-  Once in a great while we watch a Baby Einstein DVD.
-  I hold her and walk around the house looking out the windows, showing her the cat, etc.
-  She likes pat-a-cake and the eensy teensy spider.

I am starting a kindermusik class with her on Monday...

Are there other things I can with her?  With many of the activities, I feel I am just sitting there watching her play and maybe saying an encouraging word here or there or describing the toy she is playing with or showing her something else the toy can do.  Surely this is not enough.  I feel I need to be interacting with her more.  Maybe she does not need much attention from me to be happy?  That is how I was as an infant and child but I cannot assume she is the same way.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  TIA! :D

Offline themarlatts

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 05:22:35 am »
We do all of the things you listed, but I also make sure that we get outside everyday.  He loves to sit in the grass and play with the same toys he plays with inside - I guess they just seem different!

He also LOVES going to teh store - so much to look at - and it doesn't hurt I let him hold every single object I put in our cart!  Even just hanging out in the stroller while I walk the mall makes him happy - he loves looking at people!

I say if she's happy playing by herself you should let her!  She will let you know when she needs you!

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 16:49:45 pm »
No other great ideas (you seem to do everything we do!) - but just wanted to let you know I feel the same way a lot.  I'll sometimes find myself daydreaming/zoned out - like I'm not really actively engaged with dd.  However, I think as long as there's a mix of independent play for her & some active singing/playing/holding/cuddling, she'll be just fine!  I'll be curious to see other responses on this...
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Activity Ideas for 8 month old
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 02:37:04 am »
I think this is probably a typical feeling (that I share!) But stepping back for a second, I think all that independent play is probably IDEAL! The most important thing is that we are there with them and for them, right? For anything they need. "Conversation" happens naturally during the day (diaper changes, feedings, moving from room to room, etc.) And of course, reading books is fantastic!! As well as doing independent activities in the same room. Or putting music on the you can sing to while you're doing independent activities. We also play together alot, just cuddling and climbing and talking, because he's a real lovebug.

So, I guess I think that seeing that Mom is doing something else not involving baby -- yet right there for anything that baby needs -- promotes security AND prevents baby from assuming s/he is the center of the universe (even though secretly we know they are...  ;) ) Is that silly???

Now. We'll see if I can remember this tomorrow morning instead of wondering, Am I neglecting him??  :)

Offline galaxie81

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 03:12:50 am »
Once again my trusty books come in handy  ;)

-Fill containers or bottles with lids strapped on filled with dry pasta, beads for a cheap rattle
-Dumping out toys have a big plastic container with a wide opening to fill with smaller toys.  Your lo will be able to put toys in and dump them out
-Play ball.  Roll a medium sized ball to lo so that they can get used to stopping it with their hands or roll it just beyond baby so they have to move to get it.
-Everyone loves bubbles and any child's favourite game from newborn to grandma's and grandpa's
-Movement songs or nursery rhymes eg clapping to BINGO, do the movements to twinkle twinkle little star
-Spotlight.  Just stretch brightly coloured tissue paper or a sheer scarf across a torch and attach it firmly with an elastic band.  Then play the coloured circle across the ceiling, your baby's toys and on the walls.  Try turning the light on and off quickly
-Drums.  Get out the saucepans and mixing bowls mums.  Use a wooden spon to hit the pans and bowls.
-Finger puppets, toy stores usually have some cheap finger puppets for play

HTH  :)

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 16:25:56 pm »
Hey there everyone!  :D

Sorry I did not reply sooner to thank you all for your replies!  It is great to know that others feel the same way I do about playing with my dd vs. independent play.  I have been turning on the radio and dancing/singing to the music with her recently and she likes that.  Thanks for the great ideas Galaxie!  I have been on the look out for a ball for her as I think she will enjoy that.  And I also will be getting out the saucepans so she can bang away. 

Thanks again for your replies everyone!  Happy playing!  :D