Author Topic: 2 to 1, night waking gone but now late nights, early waking  (Read 1218 times)

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
2 to 1, night waking gone but now late nights, early waking
« on: January 27, 2006, 17:02:40 pm »
Well, now that we're past the night waking part of the 2 to 1 nap transition, (fingers crossed) we've hit another bump.  To solve the nightwaking we had been putting dd down around 6:30 to 6:45 and she would sleep through to 5:45 which was great as before switching to the earlier bedtime she had been waking up for about 2 hours at night.  Naps were at 12 and went from about 1 hour 30 mins to 1 hour 50 minutes.  Yeah!!  ;D I thought we had things licked and the only thing I needed to do now was try to shift the bed and naptime a bit to a better time.

BUT... :(the last 3 nights she has had a hard time going down at 6:30.  I start the winddown as usual at 6 which she  resisted to varying degrees. I put her in the crib around 6:30. She cries as soon as I put her in put the crib then will chatter to herself which she does even if she is exhausted. The first night she eventually settled herself and fell asleep at 8.  The next night she was REALLy overtired  so I stood with my hand on her to help her settle  which she did at 6:45.  Last night I stayed with her too but same problem she didn't fall asleep until 8 again.  Each day she wakes at 5:30 or 5:45 regardless.  Her naps are the same. It's kind of interesting because when she was having nightwakings they would typically occur about 9 or 9 1/2 hours after she went to sleep but with the early bedtime the night wakeup wasn't close to her normal wake time so she would go back to sleep for a couple of hours.  Now she's waking up about 9 1/2 hours after going down but because she wakes at her regular time I can't get her back down.  we tried leaving her if she wasn't crying or sending dh in but she hasn't gone back to sleep . I go in at 6:30 to say"it's morning time" and  bf her as the signal to start the day.

What do I do now?? ??? Do I try to push the nap back or should I move it earlier??  On the one hand I'd like to push it back to 12:30 or so in the hopes of shifting her whole schedule to a better time. I work fulltime and it's really hard as it is to get home to winddown at 6.  but on the other hand she is up for 6 hours in the am before her nap which seems like a lot although it doesn't appear to be effecting her ability to nap.  I have run into problems in the past though where her nap was too late in relation to her wakeup time, and she has a hard time settling at night because on the one hand she is tired from being up 12+ hours but on the other she's not that tired because of the late nap.  I thought I had figured out that she needed about 5 hours between waking up from her nap and bedtime but this doesn't seem to work anymore. So do I shift the nap?  And in which direction?? ???

One more thing this morning when I bf'ed dd she seemed like she might go back to sleep but I didn't let her because I thought this might reinforce the early waking and really just restart the whole night waking thing--except now shifted 11/2 later!  But should I have let her sleep so she won't get overtired??  This 2 to1 transition is a tricky one!! ::)

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 2 to 1, night waking gone but now late nights, early waking
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 00:42:00 am »
I think the nap time is fine so wouldn't change that.  What is her wind down at bedtime like?  You could even try and push her bedtime back to 7 at the latest now that she is sleeping through.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 16:36:32 pm »
Funny you should say that about the 7 o'clock bedtime because for the nights after my original post I was able to get her down at 7.  But yesterday she only napped for 1h 30 mins which is bad because she always wakes during the night when she takes a short nap even if I bump up bedtime a bit.  Sure enough last night she went down at 6:45 but was up at 3:30 just chattering away.  she started getting upset around 5:30 so I went in.  She fell asleep around 6 which us her normal wakeup time!  She slept until 7:30. AARghhHave I just reinforced the w/u?    SHould I have just got her up at 6 to start her day?  It just seemed too cruel  just as she was starting to sleep after being up for 2 1/2 hours to suddenly pull her out of bed.  and when should I be trying to have the nap today?

I feel like it's one step forward, two back. :(   

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 18:44:53 pm »
I think it is ok what you did.  I know it is frustrating and sometimes there just isn't an answer as to why they do what they do.  The most important thing is remaining consistent, as this helps them get back on track quicker.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com