Author Topic: Allergies and/or reflux, not sure what to do next?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Allergies and/or reflux, not sure what to do next?
« on: January 27, 2006, 17:29:31 pm »
Hi

I tried to find my old post on this topic but couldn't, probably pruned.

Megan was put on allergy meds in Sept for constent nasal congestion.   Around Sept she had 3 ear infections in 7 weeks and has been antibiotics 4XS in 3 months. 

I then took her to a ped allergist who said she may also have reflux (shocked at this age, but it rang true w/ early infant signs).  So she is on both zyretc and prevaid - both seemed to help.

Since before Christmas she has either been sick or had a nose the runs like a facet!

Yesterday, we then went to an ENT and he wants her Adenoids checked and talked about possible ear tubes. 

I don't disagree w/ investigating all possible solutions, BUT NO one seems to be trying to find WHY does she have this consistent nasal congestion?

I am not sure what to do next?  Do you all have any ideas?

PS: recently read that chrio adjustments may help w/ both the ear infections (helps open the passage) and the nasal congestions (booth the nervous system).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 17:33:14 pm by Meg's Mom »

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Allergies and/or reflux, not sure what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 18:43:58 pm »
I have tried chiro for ear infections, it seemed to help keep things open for a while.  Then I quit those and changed to sinus infections.  ::)  Definitely worth a try.  If it does not help, it won't have hurt her.  Is she using a steroid nasal spray? What sort of environmental steps are you taking?  http://www.acaai.org/public/advice/rhin.htm  I went digging about vasomotor rhinitis.  It's another possibility.   All I can think of at the moment.   :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 20:12:38 pm »
Hi Michelle.

Really sounds like MSPI aggravated reflux to me. Have you tried cutting all dairy (and possibly soy) out of her diet to see if that helps? Reflux babies ARE more prone to ear infections, but if it's allergy related at least you can cut down on it. How is she sleeping? Any rashes, excema, constipation, etc?

HTH - you've always been so great to me with help on Marisa's naps (shot to hell right due to teething) so let me know if there's anything else I can add. I also highly recommend posting over at infantreflux.org - some of the ladies there may have some other advice/thoughts.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 01:41:50 am »
Hi Michelle, just wanted to add I agree with Karen about reflux kids being prone to ear infections. Kind of like a post nasal drip, that acid that comes up pools in everything! Affects the vocal cords, sinus cavities, lungs, ears, etc. A great deal of refluxers also have issues with asthma, ear infections, respiratory infections, etc. Just another thought.

Big hugs to you!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:08:50 am »
I know P&P's mom posted about this a while back. Peyton has a milk allergy that wasn't diagnosed until she was 3 or 4, she had the symptoms you're describing almost to a T.

I think you're so right to question this! Also, a milk allergy can cause reflux. Keep us posted, but I would definitely find someone to do a food allergy test.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline preston,parker&peytonsmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:52:21 am »
Is the nasal drainage clear or green/yellow?  As Stacy said, Peyton has a milk allergy.  We had tonsils/adenoids out after dealing with the chronic sinus infections for about 7 months and not until a year after that did we find out the real cause was a milk allergy.  The ENT we were seeing was being very slow about the allergy testing and only doing a bit at a time.  Then went to a childrens hospital who tested for environmental but no food allergies so nothing showed up.  About 3 months after the visit to the childrens hospital, I decided something really was wrong and by-passed my ped office and made an appt direct with an allergist(they didn't really think she needed to see another allergist) who listened to me and tested her for the milk allergy.  From the time the sinus infections started until we found out the cause was 18 months-in that time, she was on an antibiotic 14 times and once was for 2 months straight.  Since then(9 months) she's only been on an antibiotic once for sinus stuff and that was caused by her mold allergy early in the fall. 

Anyway, what I learned here is to trust your mommy instinct.  No one else is going to stand up for your child-YOU have to do that.  I would make sure you take her to an actual allergist though-not just depend on the ENT. 
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-
Peyton (7-20-01), Parker (7-18-03) and Preston (3-22-06)

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 22:00:36 pm »
Hi, i have been dealing w/ a sick LO again  :'(  poor baby.  So thanks for all the replies while we were away.  Excellent ideas!

After posting and thinking yesterday, I decided to attack on all fronts - We went to the chrio yesterday, as mouse mom said it can't hurt.  Start no-milk/dairy diet today (I had gotten side tracked when she was diagnosed w/ reflux, but my very first post on this topic was that my gut tells me she has a milk allergy.  Also, scheduled allergy testing, but can't get in until mid-Feb.  And told ENT, i want him to look down her throat to see if the reflux has caused any scaring.

A quick bit of history:
In July the nasal congestion started.  We started whole milk in Sept (at 1yr) and she had 2 attacks w/in days of starting the milk (entire face went red, eyes watered and started to swell shut - but it went away as fast it started 20min).  Ped said not milk allergy as she was on milk formula after stopped BF.  In Sept i insisted she had some sort of allergy and her ped finally put her on Zrytec.  It helped a lot.  I decided to bypass ped (he said not necessary) and went to ped allergist. 

Ped allergist is the one who diagnosed the reflux - i was soo !@!@ed off that her ped never took my concerns seriously and this doc who saw her once, got it right.  Allergist also sent us to ENT for her recurring OM's and possible adenoids enlarged.  Again ped didn't catch it.

So that is were we are now.

Mouse Mom - no steroid nasal spray, allergist didn't think bad enough.  I'll have a look at the link and vasomotor rhinitis.  Txs

Karen - I think i agree w/ you, MSPI.  Can you explain, MSPI aggravated reflux.  HOW long will it take to see if it helps?  Sleeping great, no rashes or constipation.  A bit of eczema on her face cheeks. 

P&PsMom - the nasal drainage is always clear and watery.  Oh, you must have lost it when you discovered all these docs missed the milk allergy for soo long.  I find that so frustrating, that as an infant she went untreated for reflux!  As i said above i have scheduled the tests and will start w/ 6-8 including food/environmental, but send me your thoughts.

Quote (selected)
Anyway, what I learned here is to trust your mommy instinct.  No one else is going to stand up for your child-YOU have to do that.   
Couldn't agree w/ this more.

Thank you again, this soooo helpful.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 22:48:41 pm by Meg's Mom »

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 04:01:12 am »
Michelle-surpisingly, Peyton showed NO symptoms until shortly after she turned two.  Parker on the other hand actually did have reflux and has exzema but so far hasn't shown any signs of food allergies but that could be because the silly kid won't eat but a handful of foods and none of them other than milk are anything that would be prone to causing allergies.

Peyton *often* has clear nasal drainage but easily and quickly turns into a sinus infection if I allow too much milk into her diet.  I must confess here that I've found sometimes it isn't worth the battle so I do allow some milk in her diet but we avoid straight milk.  However, I"m thinking it may have to become more of a battle as she's started having some tummy issues so perhaps her allergy is causing other symptoms now.  Anyway, in your case,I say better safe than sorry.  Despite what your ped says about it not being milk allergy because she was on milk formula, it could still be.  As I said, Peyton never showed any symptoms in infancy and she was on milk-based formula.  Go with your gut!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if you need anything!!!
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 04:28:42 am »
Thank you, i really apprieciate the support - now i know what my nap mommies feel like :-(

What milk did / do you give Peyton?  My plan just now is to take out all dairy and soy for 2 weeks...see if it helps.  If yes, then try soy (as she loves tofu and not meats yet). 

thank you again :-)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 11:30:19 am »
Hi Michelle. That sounds like a plan. You could always try rice milk, potato milk or goat's milk. Rice milk probably tastes best of those but is very low in fat. Although I know some babies who love goat's milk. Also, given Meg's age, she may need more than a 2 week trial to get all of the milk and soy proteins out of her body. Also be sure to watch for hidden dairy - in stuff like cookies, crackers, baby food, etc.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

• BW Devotee
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 02:59:17 am »
Actually, Peyton doesn't get any milk.  Our allergist said she could take 2 tums a day to get the calcium she needs so that is what we do.  Every now and then, she'll decide she wants chocolate milk and I'll buy some chocolate soy milk for her but she rarely drinks more than a few drinks of it.  Also, I have only cut out anything labled with milk or nonfat dry milk-I know other things like whey and casein contain milk but a friend of mine who is a dietician suggested I try this rather than cut out EVERYTHING because I was so concerned about what she could eat that she actually would eat-she's a bit picky but is getting better.
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 05:05:38 am »
Karen - thanks for the tips.  We have started on Rice Milk, vanilla and i think she will take it (vs original).  Yes, it is all those hidden Milk products that will be hard.

P&P's Mom - I am going to be strict to start with to make sure we get a good challenge.  But can you tell me...the route you have taken
Quote (selected)
Also, I have only cut out anything labled with milk or nonfat dry milk-I know other things like whey and casein contain milk but a friend of mine who is a dietitian suggested I try this rather than cut out EVERYTHING
has it worked to alleviate Paytons symptoms?  As Megan is not that picky, but she likes what she likes and A LOT of that is/was has milk or soy in it.  Crackers, tofu, yogurt, cheese, pancakes, waffles, french toast & cream cheese.  I found no milk bread (has trace soy) & our crackers also have trace soy.  I guess i will make our pancakes, french toast, waffles, muffins, etc.

I had no idea milk was in everything until you try to avoid it!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 11:48:58 am »
Yes, it's crazy how much has milk! But it's possible that she may eventually be able to handle the small hidden dairy but not the actual milk. And there are plenty of babies for whom it's still an intolerance and they outgrow it at 2 years of age.

Some MSPI safe finger and toddler foods include:

- hummus (great way to get extra protein too)
- Imagine Foods/Pacific Organic both make dairy free vegetable cream soups that are good for sauces on pastas, base for rice, etc(one has soy, one doesn't - so check labels) - have heard good things about cream of corn and cream of carrot
- cooked ditalini pasta w/ a can of no sodium carrots or peas mixed in
- shredded whole chicken cooked in crock pot
- spiral pasta w/ marinara sauce
- turkey deli meat sliced about 1/4 inch thick cubed
- smile fries
- Ian's sweet potato fries (Ian's also makes MSPI safe fish stiicks)
- Tyson chicken nuggets (check labels though not all varieties are safe)
- Iron Kids crustless bread is MSPI safe
- Lenders mini bagels
- All veggies/fruits are ok- cut up green beans are good
- saltines- he loves them- make sure you read label though and get national brand. some store brands have milk. I use the low sodium kind.
- Gerber puffs
- Cheerios
- Rice Chex
- Earth's Best Sesame Street snack crackers
- Cubed ripe banana
- Gerber Fruit Wagon Wheels
- Gerber Vanilla Snackin Cereal Squares
- Dole Topical Fruit Salad
- Vans Mini Waffles (Wheat ones only)

Here is a link to a GREAT soy/milk free list: http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2718&KW=Solids+Dairy

Note, some of the above may have soy lecithin or soy oil in them. MOST MSPI babies are ok with these are they are fats, not proteins.

Also, using kosher foods can help - anything kosher with meat CANNOT have any milk in it. So yummy potato pancakes (great with applesauce), etc.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 13:06:03 pm by Marisa Mom »

Wilsmon

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 15:28:02 pm »
This is an interesting thread for me.  I put our ds on soy formula a little over two weeks ago.  He was waking at night and taking two hours to go back to sleep (I am not exagerating at all about the two hours).  Also, he would often cry and be fussy and clingy during the day (which I always attributed to lack of sleep from the night waking). So I tried the soy just to see what would happen.  It took about a week and half (which seems too long if it was intolerance)  but he seems to be doing better.  The babysitter is convinced it is the formula but I am not convinced yet.  I have continued to give him regular yogurt (yo-baby) and cheese.

Also, he did have the constant congestion, although his was usually green.  I went to an ENT and she said if it was sinus infections he would probably run a fever.  She put him on Flonase to thin the membranes and see if it would help with drainage and dry him up.  She also thought we would look into the adenoids later but he was still a little young at this point (9 mos at the time - he is now 11.5 mos)  Now I am wondering if it is not related to a milk intolerance?  Sometimes I wonder if these dr. don't get added $ for prescribing medication.  But I have to say the Flonase has helped with the congestion - he is now able to breath at night.

My question is, if it is just an intolerance will allergy testing indicate anything or will it be a waste of our time?  I have an appt. with his ped. on Wed. and I am trying to decide whether or not to push for allergy testing.  I don't want to put him through that if it is not necessary but I also don't want to keep him on soy if that is not necessary either.  Maybe I should just cancell the appt., wait a week and then put him back on milk and see what happens?

Also, now that he seems to be doing better during the day and night I am thinking about taking him of the Flonase for several days to see if the congestion is better. 

I really can't decide what to do here b/c so many of his symptoms could be related to other things - which is common for intolerances I guess.   Should I go for the allergy testing and just be done with it and know for sure or just put him back on milk and see what happens?

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 21:57:33 pm »
Karen, you are a star!  Thanks for listing all those for me. 

Wilsmom - i understand your pain :(  ...how old is your LO??

I took this from the MSPI sticky at the top of this forum -
MSPI is diagnosed by a detailed history. Your child will be exhibiting one or more of the following symptoms: bloody stools, diarrhea with water loss, constipation, irritability (putting it mildly), weight loss or failure to gain, vomiting, appearing to be hungry all the time or refusal to eat at all. The doctor will question you as to the types of formula, if any, your infant has been on and how they reacted to each one. A description of the child's bowel movements is necessary. The doctor may elect to do an endoscopic examination. During this procedure, the doctor uses a lighted instrument to look into the small bowel and/or rectum. Damage (called colitis) is present if the lining is red, inflamed, or bleeding. Inflammatory changes may be noted on tissue samples obtained during this test. Less invasive testing can be done by obtaining a stool sample card to check for blood. It is the combination of the colitis with some of the symptoms listed previously which confirm the diagnosis of MSPI.

I think (but i am a newbie to all this) - allergy testing will only show an allergy.  But the stool sample will show milk intolerance.  AND I am not sure either are exact eg: could be negative to Milk and still be allergic or the opposite.  If it were me?  I would ask for both!  Let us know how you get on - hugs!

PS: Just back from the doctor and ANOTHER ear infection, both ears!  Karen, he didn't recommend Goats milk for infants so we are sticking w/ the Rice milk for now and find lots of fat for her :-)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 22:05:09 pm by Megs Mom »