Author Topic: how do they test for lactose intollerance?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
how do they test for lactose intollerance?
« on: February 06, 2006, 13:32:51 pm »
I posted before about my daughter.  She's 22 months old.  We are in the process of finding a new ped for her, but in the meantime as per our old ped we cut out milk, yogurt and cheese from her diet.  I started to see some improvements with her constipation and sleeping.  But now we haven't added anything back into her diet but slowly the symptoms are coming back.  Yesterday she had blood in her stool again and she seems a bit blocked up at times.  So what I'm trying to find out is if we're wasting our time here making her not eat milk, yogurt and cheese or if its worst and because she still gets some milk products (i.e. the breading in chicken nuggets, etc), that's why she is getting worst. 

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: how do they test for lactose intollerance?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 02:52:23 am »
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/ .  Might be TMI.   ;D  I think in kids, a lot of it is elimination.  If the symptoms get better with avoidance, they assume intolerance.  HTH. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.