Author Topic: 4 month old will not nap in bed.. only on me...  (Read 1080 times)

Offline kiras_mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mommy to Kira Ann - 10/4/05
    • GotSwap.com - a place for scrapbookers
4 month old will not nap in bed.. only on me...
« on: January 28, 2006, 06:32:06 am »
Hi there. I have a wonderful 4 month old daughter (on 2-4-6) and she is a great sleeper at night in her own bed but during day light hours she REFUSES to sleep in her bed. She will only nap if I hold her. I don't mind this to a point, but I think (well know) she would be better off if she took naps in her bed. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help...

Thanks...

Mommy for the very first time and loving every moment of it!!

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
Re: 4 month old will not nap in bed.. only on me...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:22:41 am »
Hi there, i take it she wakes the minute you put her down. ::)

I only started b/w with my 1st son when he was 4 months old and started with the daytime naps. This is what i did...

Put him into his bed and pat/ssshhh until he was asleep (takes forever) and after a few days he would go to sleep sooner. Then i stopped pat/sshh and just rested my hand on his back, until gradually it wasn't there, but i was still in the room ready for when he woke to put him back to sleep. Then day by day, i gradually moved further away from his cot and then outside the door.
I would go up and wait outside his door just before 20mins as he normally stirred around this time and at 45 mins so i could get him off before he woke up fully.
Obviously some days were harder than others but persistence did overcome resistence. hope this helps.
Rhian

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: 4 month old will not nap in bed.. only on me...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 21:21:16 pm »
Unfortunately i didn't start BW until my LO was 4mos either and she took all naps previouly in her swing or pack in play, but mainly swing.
We did our wind down - Swaddle tight, carry dc around the house for few minutes, take to room, dim the lights, pull the blind (dc needs complete darkness), rock for a few minutes and then lie her down in bed.  If she can't settle I would shh/pat until almost asleep.  I knew i could leave she gave a great big sigh :-).

I hope this helps.  Keep in mind that your baby will fight you. dc will also regress. both are normal - it will take time for him to learn the new way to sleep.