Author Topic: Question about niece  (Read 1494 times)

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Question about niece
« on: January 28, 2006, 16:29:36 pm »
My niece is a bit over three yrs.  Since birth, she has slept with a parent in the room.  While breast feeding, mom slept in the same room with her.  Not, babe in parents room.  After weaning, mom and dad took turns.  Now, she still needs a parent with her to fall asleep.  Again, they generally take turns.  I think they can leave after she is asleep during naps.  Sooner or later they will have to wean her from this, is there a semi easy way?  ;D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Question about niece
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 18:41:58 pm »
i don't have any advice as i'm in a similar situation , so i will be greatfull of the advice also. ryan has suffered huge problems with reflux at night so i at 12months i started to sleep in his room , i was so exhausted running up and down the stairs during the night and spending a while in the room. so i moved in his room so i was there before he woke fully to reassure him and get him back off to sleep. as he's got older he can self soothe to sleep but still wakes crying some nights. we now share a double bed. i'm hoping to resolve his reflux probs at night at our G.I apt ( not raising my hopes though ) and hopefully be able to move out of his room .!
    i will have to keep checking this post for replies.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 19:06:14 pm »
I have not personally dealt with a situation like this, but my girlfriend did with her son.  When he was about 3 and a half, she explained to him that he was old enough now to fall asleep on his own.  She told him the plan that she would sit on his bed for 2 nights until he fell asleep, then stand in his doorway for 2 nights until he fell asleep, and then sit at the top of the stairs un til he fell asleep.  He understood and within a week he was falling asleep on his own, and she hasn't had any problems since.

Just one idea!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 19:10:52 pm »
How about giving her a teddy or blanket as a subtitute to mum? She could choose it, sleep with it at nap times at first as she's alone then anyways, then say that the teddy will look after you now cos you're a big girl.
Kimberley

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 23:18:26 pm »
Good ideas so far!!  What does everyone else have?   :D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 17:05:06 pm »
Went through the same thing with my then 3 year old needing someone to fall there to fall asleep.  We did the sitting on the bed thing then leaving and taking her back.  What finally did it was as elfin said explaining that she needed to do this on her own.  My dd wouldn't take to a lovey at this stage--another option is the star/reward.