Author Topic: Ped didn't really do anything--is this normal?  (Read 1924 times)

mommytsa

Ped didn't really do anything--is this normal?
« on: January 24, 2006, 02:28:22 am »
I'm kinda upset with my pediatrician, but I need to know if I'm overreacting or not.

I took DS in today to talk about his food allergies.  He has reacted with a rash and little red bumps (like pimples) to macaroni and cheese, yogurt, and for some strange reason, McDonald's french fries.  After the mac and cheese and yogurt incidents, I cut dairy entirely out of his diet and mine, and we hadn't had any reactions until the french fry incident.  I wasn't going to go to the dr to specifically talk about it, since we had it under control but the french fry thing threw me.  My whole family thought it was more likely that DS was allergic to the oil McD's uses than any diary that might have been floating in there from other stuff.  So I went to the dr, and he was like "well, it sounds like he's allergic to diary and if you give him other foods, just watch for a rash and give him benadryl." And that was it.  No talk of allergy testing, no ideas other than "try stuff and see if he reacts to it, then avoid it."

Is that normal, or should I be looking for a new ped?

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Ped didn't really do anything--is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 02:56:48 am »
McD's usued to use beef fat as part of thier oil.  Not sure if they still do.  How is he with meats?   Obviously, skip the dairy.  The allergy/intolerance site at the top of the forum lists some of the more common allergens.  Might be a good idea to wait on those for him.  We used to have a list of when to start what with an allergy risk lo.  Kayna, have you seen it?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 03:03:09 am »
Well I have never seen a Ped. with either boy (except the hosp ones when they were born & sick) but we don't have a regular one so I can't say if it is normal or not.

What I can say from what I know from working with people in allergy, is that the type of reaction Aaron has had is not "extreme" & likely he will grow out of it. So it is best to just avoid the foods that give him reactions... why I stopped milk with Aiden & not introducing Dairy to Liam until 9months +.

DH & I were having a discussion about peanut allergy & he said "how do they know" I said only if there is a reaction, he said "surely there is a test, we shouldn't have to put our children through it..." well the thing with allergy is you don't get allergic until you are exposed & SO to test a baby doesn't really do much as their immune system is still developing.

So "I" think your Ped is on the right track... you know what happens when he reacts, you know what foods to avoid & if you keep following the 3 day rule, you should work out his problem foods... then in 6months try to introduce them again as most "childhood food allergies are "grown out of" if removed from the system for long enough.  Exceptions being things like gluten in Coeliac disease & peanut & shellfish allergies, which is why it is best to introduce them later.

Re the McDonald French fries...maybe he is just allergic to fast food :D :D

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

mommytsa

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 18:23:50 pm »
Thank you Kate!

I just wasn't really sure what the "normal" protocol is for a mild allergy like this.  It just seemed weird to me that I'm paying the Dr to tell me what I already know, and common sense stuff.  Oh well though.

Maybe he is just allergic to fast food....not a bad thing health-wise, but it means I have to plan our shopping trip supplies a little better.  I liked it when he was EBF, since then I didn't have to remember food for him!  :) ;)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 19:35:59 pm »
I don't think most doctors will do food allergy tests until after 12 months, some not until after 24 months. HTH
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:34:47 am »
Theresa, what I do for going out is ALWAYS have snacks for the boys. For Liam I have a small container of corn crackers... will include wheat ones soon, a banana,  a sippy of water & at the bottom of my bag an emergency jar of commercial baby food, in case we run late when I plan to be home for a meal.

When he gets older it will graduate to cheese sticks, saltanas, crackers & fruit, which I have for Aiden, with that I can pretty much give a "lunch" on the run if need be :)

I always have a piece of fruit & water with me - habit from first preg with Aiden, so I rarely have to do the meal out.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chantel03

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 19:05:22 pm »
I think with allergies if you want the testing you need to push for it.  I have a really bad food allergie to fish, and mushroom's, and the doc's have allways told me if it makes you sick don't eat it.  I asked one doc. if I should be tested for food allergies, and he was like what for you already know what food's make you sick?  I was like ok i guess so.  So I guess if you are worried ask to see an allergist.
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 19:22:11 pm »
well my son's ped was the same way when we talked of it, but i kept at it, got the name of a ped allergist and pushed for testing.  they did it to appease me.  well we shocked them and he tested positive!  so yes, consider another dr, but you may get the same treatment.  we saw an allergist here who told me my son had no allergies.  maybe intolerace, not not allergic.  got nasty about it honestly.  since then i have found several allergists in my area do not believe in children having true allergies to food!  crazy people, come to my house when he had eggs/dairy at a year!

anyway, find an allergist...ask around for one who specializes in ped food allergies.  a teaching hospital is a good place.  very thorough.....those new drs like to test all things :-)

good luck, if you believe there is a problem trust your instinct. 
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

mommytsa

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 19:26:23 pm »
I think I'm going to wait a while before pushing things.  He hasn't had any horrible reactions, and I've tried cutting what I think are the problems, but if I continue to find things that he's reacting to, I'm going to go to an allergist.  Some good friends of mine have a DS who's allergic to a ton of stuff, and I'll ask them for the name of the allergist that they actually liked.

Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback because it makes me feel a bit better about the entire situation.

Offline preston,parker&peytonsmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 03:35:59 am »
WE battled a milk allergy FOREVER before we were able to find out what it was.  I think your plan to wait and watch is good.  Right now the reactions are mild so it's not a severe problem.  I think if at any point he develops other problems (for us it was chronic sinus infections) that could be related you should push the issue.  And of course, always listen to your mommy instinct!!!!!!
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-
Peyton (7-20-01), Parker (7-18-03) and Preston (3-22-06)