Author Topic: PU/PD at nap time  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Nates Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
PU/PD at nap time
« on: January 28, 2006, 21:57:07 pm »
Hi there,

I am new to BW and my LO is having a hard time adjusting to his new daytime routine.  He is just over 4 months old, and when I read about EASY I started it right away and he fell into the 4 hour schedule very "easily".  The only problem was that he was taking his naps in his baby carrier, and not in his crib.  Since then I have started PU/PD to get his to sleep in his crib.  He seems to be getting the hang of it, but is not napping as long as he did in the carrier.  BW says to try wake to sleep and PU/PD if that doesn't work.  After he wakes up (45 minutes), I have been doing PU/PD again.  He seems to drift off repeatedly, but then jolts himself awake.  Only once has he gone back to sleep during nap time for a second stretch.  I guess I would like to know how long I should do PU/PD at nap time before I get him up.  If he has a shorter first nap, I have been putting him to sleep a little bit earlier for the second nap.  Is this the right thing to do?    We are new to this, and while I am frustrated, I am reassured by how much better he is at getting to sleep the first time.  I just don't want to force the second stretch of the nap for too long.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Alicia (Nate's Mommy)  ???

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: PU/PD at nap time
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 23:12:17 pm »
Hello Alicia, welcome to the boards  :)

Congratulations on how well you are both doing.  Perhaps pu/pd is too stimulating for him in the middle of his nap? Have you tried wake to sleep at all?  If you haven't tried it already, I think it might be useful to you. The most important thing with it is consistency. It's easy to think that it hasn't worked so we'll give up, or it worked that one time so we don't need to do it any more. Tracy recommended that you do it for 3 days straight, and this should help them get through their 45 mins sleep transition, and eventually teach them to do it on their own.

These links might be helpful to you (they're all at the top of the Naps forum):
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php/topic,39769.0.html
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php/topic,43311.0.html
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php/topic,3187.0.html
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php/topic,649.0.html

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Nates Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 21:41:57 pm »
Hi There,

I swaddled Nate before his naps today and he konked right out and stayed sleeping for 2 hours this morning and 1.5 hours for his second nap.  I didn't try it before because I thought I read that swaddling is not suitable for older babies in BW. 

Oh well, it's working for us, so I'm going to keep doing it.

-Alicia :)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 04:55:22 am »
I just wanted to add, we swaddled until 9mos!  So if it works, stick w/ it.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 22:29:23 pm »
Congratulations on the good naps ;D

We swaddled until ds was 8 months, he kind of weaned himself off it, so if it's working for you then great :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston