Author Topic: Barley Cereal??  (Read 1798 times)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Barley Cereal??
« on: January 28, 2006, 22:28:03 pm »
Hi,
This is the second time I have tried Barley Cereal.  The first time I tried, ds was really cranky and screaming all the time and kept waking though the night.  I though it was because I had started him on veg and he cut 2 teeth and had his needles, but after a couple days of this I had stopped with the Barley.  He wouldn't take any food for a couple day and then when he started again I went back to the oatmeal and everything was fine.  Today I tried the Barley again and he has been super cranky and fussy.  Could this be an allergy?  There are no allergies in my or dp familys.  And should I try wheat?  Another thing I can't find just plain wheat cereal, just mixed?  should I just stay with the oatmeal until he is older??  If anyone has any feedback or related situation, please let me know. 
Thank you
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Barley Cereal??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 23:06:35 pm »
The info I have is hold of on wheat until 10-12 months due to its high allergy risk.  Maybe he is just not ready for barley yet.  DD is that way about sweet potatoes.  I figured I'd wait a couple of months and try again.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Carter'sMama

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 01:38:13 am »
My DS has egg and dairy allergies and who knows what else so to be safe we stuck with just oatmeal cereal from 5 months until 7 months.  He really likes the oatmeal and it is really good for them (lots of fibre). 
I have found wheat cereal at my local grocery store but it is mixed with banana. I don't think I have ever seen just plain wheat before.

:)
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:22:28 am »
Thank you for the info,
I don't think I will try it again for awhile.
See the health nurses here told me it is best to introduce them to all cereals before starting veg.
but he just only wants oatmeal.

Offline EASYconfusedMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 16:36:40 pm »
Just a thought... would "Cream of Wheat" be something that would alright for an infant?  It is probably just wheat, and can be mixed into whatever consistency you like.  I haven't seen it in a while, but a large grocery chain might have it.

Oh, and my LO had serious issues eating cereal (still does) so we just went straight to fruits and veggies.  She's been slow to start eating solids, but is up to three small meals a day without having cereal yet.

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 20:11:14 pm »
Im not sure if cream of wheat would be ok.  I eat it like all the time so....
maybe could try it, couldn't hurt :)

Offline tinytatsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • I am working hard!!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 03:36:20 am »
I to wonder if barley is causing issues with my lo.  I have cut it out to be sure.  She hasn't slept well for about 4 months and now wondering if some foods are the problem.  I have taken barley, peas and bannanas out of her diet and she is on lactose free formula.  I asked the doctor about wheat, b/c of all the stuff I read about potential allergies and with her milk intolerance he suggested waiting until she was 12 to 18 months.  I looked at gluten and it is in both barley and wheat, not that I think she has celiac disease but maybe a sensitivity to it.  Barley isn't in that many things so she should be able to go thru life without it.  All though I did buy some jars of turkey stew that had barley in it.  She didn't get it.
tinytatsmom

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 11:58:37 am »
Barley can be a tough one - it makes my DD cranky and upsets her tummy. Many people suggest staying away from all gluten-containing products until 1 year...

No reason you need to do all the cereals first. If your DS likes and tolerates oatmeal, stick with that and start slowly introducing some fruits and veggies. We are STILL not on any cereals here at 7.5 months - we may retry oatmeal again soon. Grains can be tough to digest.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01