Author Topic: Duncan Hines Cake mix  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Duncan Hines Cake mix
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:12:19 am »
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake mix now has milk in it.  I suspect it always has but now with the new labeling in the states (thank goodness) nonfat dry milk pops up. >:( >:( >:(  It just goes to show how important it is that they changed things.

I looked and looked for another mix and finally found the Hyvee store brand is dairy free.  Well the Hyvee Devils Food and yellow cake are anyway.  Of course you should always check the label but I was very excited to find one.
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Duncan Hines Cake mix
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 19:38:25 pm »
BOOOO!!  To the first part. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!  To the second. :)  :)  Hope it stays that way!  Gotta have cake once in a while.  I added this to the US brand sticky.  Thanks!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 19:40:43 pm by mouse mom »
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 20:16:44 pm »
No way! I had to go look in the pantry to see my box. I will keep my eye out for other alternatives. I love HyVee but the nearest one is in Jeff City.

If you really like choc cake, and don't mind a tiny bit of "from scratch", this is THE BEST chocolate cake I've ever had. I make it for all birthdays, and it's definately better the second day after the frosting sits on it. You can even add a little cinnamin to it and the frosting to call it "mexican" chocolate cake like my old health food store did.

Chocolate Layer Cake

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes (cupcakes 20 minutes)

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
˝ cup dairy free 100% cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease (100% vegetable shortening) and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans. In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat with spoon or whisk until batter is smooth and ingredients are well blended.

Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake in 350 oven 35  minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, before turning onto wire racks to cool completely.

Optional cupcake directions: Prepare as above except pour batter into 24 lined cupcake tins. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Frosting

˝ cup (1 stick) dairy-free margarine, room temperature (Fleishmans Unsalted Sticks)
2-1/2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
˝ cup dairy free 100% cocoa powder
2-1/2 tbsp water
2-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Place margarine, honey, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Sift cocoa into this bowl. Cream these ingredients with an electric mixer. Add water and sift powdered sugar into mixture. Beat with electric mixer on medium until well mixed. Yields enough to frost a 9-inch double layer cake, will have extra if making cupcakes. (Leftovers good on graham crackers)
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:36:10 am »
Yup, noticed that when I went to make dh a birthday cake. Ended up making one from scratch. ::) I did manage to find frosting though. ;D
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 03:14:19 am »
Thanks Stacy!!  i'll try it sometime :D
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Heather

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 05:16:37 am »
We were going through dairy issues with Levi when he was turning 3, and I asked on here for birthday cake ideas and I made Stacy's chocolate layer cake....it was SOOOOOOO good!  Two thumbs up here!  :)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 20:00:54 pm »
Jennifer, I looked at the store today and ALL of the D/H cake mixes have milk now. Or did they always and just not list it? Frustrating!!!!! I will see if I can come up with or find a good white cake mix from scratch.

Heather, isn't it awesome? I got it out of one of my dairy free cookbooks.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies