Author Topic: Milk allergy  (Read 1134 times)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Milk allergy
« on: January 30, 2006, 03:19:32 am »
Hi,
I have a concern about a possible milk allergy.
My ds has been formula feed from day one.  He always was really sour and spit up a lot as well as being gassy.  My doctor treated it as a milk allergy and suggested soy formula at 2 months.  Nethier my dp or I have milk allergies in our families.  After the soy nothing seemed to get better was just consitpatied.  We got the consitipation under control with starting fruits.  He know has ezxema under his neck and is always a little stuffy, (which dp has exzema and I have always had a post nasel drip) Our doctor is still treating it as a milk allergy and that is what is causing all the problems(as soy still contains milk sugar). ds is 6.5 months now.
I just don't believe it is a milk allergy, and wonder if I should persue the issue of trying to have an allergy test done or not, or just get a second opionon about this.  I akm concerned of  course for many reasons, 1) I heard soy can bring on other allergies including nuts, another with starting dairy products.  Doctor doesn't seem to wanna do anything about it and said just have to wait till hes a year and see how he reacts to whole milk??
If anyone has any info or advice to share would be great, thank you
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Milk allergy
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 02:11:41 am »
Have you tried a milk based no lactose formula?  Also check the mspi sticky at the top of the forum to see if any of it sounds like your babe.  Are you able to easily get a second opinion?  Has the doc considered reflux?   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline louie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 00:29:24 am »
IT DOES SOUND LIKE A MILK ALLERGY OR REFLUX OR EVEN A SOY ALLERGY WHICH BELIEVE IT OR NOT IS THE SECOND MOST COMMON ALLERGIES.YOUR CHILD SHOULD NOT SUFFER AND YOU HAVE TO BE STRONG AND INSIST ON A REFERRAL FOR REFLUX AND ALLERGY TESTING VIA BLOOD TESTS. HAVE THE FORMULA CHANGED TO A LACTOSE FREE MILK  . THEESE ALLERGIES CAN CAUSE CONSTIPATION AS WELL AS DIARRHOEA, IF YOUR CHILD DOES HAVE DIARRHEA IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT CONSTIPATED ITS JUST THAT ITS THE ONLY WATERY SUBSTANCE TO PASS THROUGH THE IMPACTED STOOLS. BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR SURE SO YOU CAN REMOVE ALL CONNECTED PRODUCTS FROM THE DIET. YOUR CHILD HAS A RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY AND HAPPY. AS MY DAUGHTER WAS GAINING WEIGHT I WAS TOLD SHE DID NOT HAVE REFLUX WHICH AFTER BATTLES WITH THE DOCTORS THE HOSPITAL DIAGNOSED HER WITH SEVERE REFLUX .AND AT 16 MONTHS AND GOING PRIVATELY SHE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MILK ALLERGY.BUT IT TOOK 16 MONTHS OF NO SLEEP AND BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL TO IMPROVE HER AND MY FAMILY'S LIFE. BE STRONG AND INSIST ON A DIAGNOSIS.