Poll

I need some help with my 10 month's old routine.....please

EASY
0 (0%)
Feeding
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Short naps during day and ready for bed early - 10 month old!  (Read 1607 times)

Offline J & J's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Short naps during day and ready for bed early - 10 month old!
« on: January 30, 2006, 09:33:07 am »
Hi, I have been following the EASY plan since my DS was newborn.  He is now almost 10 months old.  He has always had 45 minute naps during the day, during the last month he has a nap in the morning (about 9) which lasts for 45 mins and then sometimes (if I'm lucky) 1 1/2 hours at about 1.00pm. 

He refuses to take a late afternoon nap and is then ready to go to bed at 6.00pm, so will not drink his last milk bottle. 

Routine is a bit like this:

6.30-7.00  wake and bottle
8.00-8.30  solids
9.00-9.30 nap (45 mins)
12.00 solids
1.30 nap (45 mins - 1 1/2 hours)
4.00 solids
6.00-7.00  try and give milk and then bedtime

I offer him water during the day and a rusk/biscuit/fruit in between meals.  He also has his playtime, we go out for walks and I take him to baby groups.

It's just the later part of the afternoon that I'm having problems with.  Should I give him his dinner later and try and let him nap which would mean he went to bed later?

Help!!!!!!  please................... :-[
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Short naps during day and ready for bed early - 10 month old!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 01:32:48 am »
Boy, I can understand your frustration.  Sleepy babies make for unhappy babies.  Have you had any luck extending his naps?  What is his temperment?  Have you ever lengthened his morning A time just to see how he handled it?  While most babies have their shortest A time before the first nap, I've known several to have up to 3.5 hrs.  I'm not saying you'd want to rush into that, but often a short nap at his age suggests he's not tired.  Of course, if he's always done this his clock may be stuck on it.  Next, I would set the afternoon nap to 2 pm and try not to budge off of it much.  I say this b/c my dd always sleeps longer in the pm if she's had a bad am nap.  I will feel terribly if that backfires on you, but I think it's worth a try.  Hopefully, if he sleeps longer then, you'll have a more happy baby in the evening.  What if you offered a snack at 4 pm, then dinner around 5-5:30?  Sometimes a meal to break up the A time helps baby make it through the evening.  Then you could try for the bottle around 6:30, then bed.
Let me know if you think any of this will help.  If not, we'll try something else.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline J & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 08:54:06 am »
Thanks so much for your suggestions.  I shall certainly try it today.

I have tried to lengthen his activity time, but he just gets really grumpy.  I've tried to keep him occupied this morning, but he's gone down for his nap at 8.50am.  He woke at 6.30am.  I'll try your suggestions for the rest of the day...fingers crossed.  Anything is worth a try!!!

I'll keep you posted!!  Thanks again.

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 17:53:45 pm »
Jacobs Mum,

Like Heather said, try to extend the A time in the morning. My LO gets up between 6:30 & 7 as well and I always try to put her down at the earliest, 9:30 and the latest, 10 am. For the afternoon nap, I put her down at 2:30 (it used to be 2 pm but for some reason, she fights this ALOT recently) and she gets up around 4. Then bedtime is between 7 and 8. Both naps are generally about 1.5 hours but she shifts them sometimes. If she sleeps shorter in the AM, she will make up for it in the PM and vice versa. Total day sleep is around 2.75 - 3 hours. Night sleep  ::) is approximately 11 hours (with night wakings :o still  ::)).

I know I have given you "ballpark" times but I hope it helps. Arwyn's schedule is shifting... it generally takes about 2 weeks for it to settle down so that's what it is like right now.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Offline J & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:43:15 am »
Hi,

So far so good.  I've been putting him down for a nap later in the morning and he is sleeping longer, then I've been offering him his lunch around 12.30 and putting him down for a nap 1.30 ish (trying to go a bit later than that, but he can't manage it).  I've been giving him his dinner around 4.30-5.00 which he refuses after a few spoonfuls,  then he won't take his last bottle before bed!!!

:(

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 20:46:32 pm »
I'm glad you are doing well.  Just play around with feeding times in the evening.  He won't starve himself;  he'll eat when he's hungry.  If it goes on too long (not drinking his bedtime bottle) you just need to make sure he's getting enough the rest of the day.  Since he's 10 months, this may be the bottle he drops first. 
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline J & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 09:34:48 am »
Hi,

Thank you so much for your advice.  I hope I don't speak too soon, but I have a much happier baby!!  He is eating more food at mealtimes and sleeping better during the day.

Thank you so much.
x