Author Topic: How much activity time for a 1 month old - what's the norm?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
How much activity time for a 1 month old - what's the norm?
« on: January 30, 2006, 16:05:56 pm »
I'm just curious what is a normal amount of activity time for a 1 month old baby. He's a quick eater (usually consumes 5 ounces in 15 - 20 mins), and after being awake for an additional 40 minutes (total 1 hour) he starts to fuss and yawn, so I swaddle him up and pat him (sometimes give a pacifier) and he settles down for another nap. He'll nap 1.5 - 2 hours (depending on how quick he is to settle... missing his "window" makes him longer to settle.)

Anyway, just curious if this seems to be a normal routine for a 1 month old.

Offline Leanne

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Re: How much activity time for a 1 month old - what's the norm?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 14:56:06 pm »
Anyone?

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 18:30:07 pm »
Hi, sorry someone's taken a while to get you you... :)

1hr sounds perfect for that age, a lot of babies can't even make it to 1hr without getting tired, so you're doing great.  Sounds like you're getting good nap lengths too.  Just keep an eye on his tired cues and you'll find as he's able to stay awake longer you can move with him rather than get stuck on looking at the clock too much.

Offline Leanne

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 17:37:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply. For a forum with so many members I'm surprised that there aren't more replies. Or is it up to the moderators to provide advice? (Just curious.)

Anyway, glad to know it sounds like we're on the right track. I'm trying to follow Ben's cues already, which is how we devised our routine... but I couldn't help wondering if I might be misreading something and keeping him up too long or not long enough. I guess there's always a certain amount of trial and error. :)

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 17:48:05 pm »
Hi Leanne, I think a lot of it depends on how much time people have on the net - I know most times I just rush through most forums and rarely read anything unless it jumps out at me and I'm right there in the middle of that particular baby stage if that makes sense (although I do check this forum if there are unanswered posts after a day).  I think too, that this type of question will only generate one or two answers otherwise people probably feel like they're doubling up on replies that say the same perhaps?   

Anyway, glad you found the answer helpful...

HTH :)

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 17:49:30 pm »
yep, a young baby spends more time asleep than awake. An hour at a time sounds quite active!

i'd make the most of the sleeping time if i were you  ;)

Offline Leanne

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 00:25:36 am »
Thanks ladies!

I only had one Baby Whisperer book until recently, so I've managed to find a guideline in the new book. Quite honestly, I don't know what I'd do without these books! A huge help. :)