Author Topic: Baby wants to be held all the time  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Christa

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
Baby wants to be held all the time
« on: January 30, 2006, 16:32:58 pm »
My 4 mo. old wants to be held all the time. Maybe I held him too much when he was younger (and lighter) and he thinks this is how life is supposed to be but now that he weighs 17 pounds, I just can't do it anymore. We have a bouncer chair, swing, step-n-play piano, and bumper jumper and he likes them sometimes, but usually he hates them all and cries. I've also tried laying him on a blanket- for example in the kitchen when I am making dinner so that he can see me, but that doesn't work either. I'm totally out of ideas. Any suggestions??

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
Re: Baby wants to be held all the time
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 18:42:21 pm »
it is hard when your lo decides that they need to be in your arms ALL the time and you don't feel physically up to the challenge!  i found with Ethan it helped to spend time with him on the rug under his activity centre and looking at his toys to transition him from being carried all the time!  i need to go and sort him out right now but i hope that helps and i will look in again soon!

Offline Christa

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 19:50:28 pm »
Thanks Maggie,

I spent some time with him on the floor today playing with his toys... a good break from holding him. I guess I am just wondering if other babies are like that... wanting to be held so much. And if someone's baby was like that, when did they start being okay with being put down?

Christa

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • http://www.crystal-seasons.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 20:11:05 pm »
I was lucky but my sisters girl wanted to be held a lot! My sister used a baby carrier which helped. Lets hope this phase is short !!
clare
Life's a journey, not a destination!

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 22:39:05 pm »
my son wants to be with me all the time on the evenings he comes back from nursery... i don't mind because i miss him all day too but it IS much harder now that he is nearly 9 months... and i still have the joys of separation anxiety to come!!!  ::)
i think that some kids are just more cuddly and clingy and some are so busy exploring that they want you to keep your distance so they can check out everything!
there were days when i wore Ethan in a baby sling like Clare suggests, mostly if he was wanting to sleep and i couldn't soothe him or needed to be out and about for a bit and that helped with just giving me two hands again!  we both liked the sling.  i am certain other moms are in the same boat with babes who want more cuddles!

Offline Christa

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 00:19:15 am »
Yeah, sling-type things are great. I have a Baby Bjorn, which has been a lifesaver. I've even figured out how to lean over and pick stuff up off the floor, which was a challenge at first. Harrison wants to be held so much because he wants to be carried around and shown things. He starts to fuss if I sit down or even if I stand in one place for too long! I have a feeling that he'll be a lot less interested in being held when he can move himself around... but that'll be a whole new challenge as I'm sure he'll be into everything  ;)

Offline Christa

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 23:22:03 pm »
I am still dealing with this issue... got better for a while, but the past few days he's been attached at the hip all day. What about using a PU/PD approach? Has anyone tried that?

Offline mom-2-3

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 23:05:54 pm »
My baby is 4 months old and wants to be held all of the time for the last week.  But only by me.  He screams if my husband tries to take him.  If he is calm with my husband or when his is in one of his toys or chairs, and he sees me playing with my 2 yr old daughter, he will also scream.  He is over 17 lbs and is too heavy to carry around all of the time.  He also does not like talking a bottle from anyone else except for me as well.  He used to take a bottle with my husband with no problems.  I'm not sure what to do, for the activity time and for eating....  help please  ???
Heidi