Author Topic: typical A time for 8 month old???  (Read 1292 times)

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: January 30, 2006, 19:18:06 pm »
what is the average A time for an 8 month old? my DD is still taking 3 catnaps and I would like to consolidate to 2 naps a bit longer. I have tried exteding them, but it does not always work which makes me thing she is not that tired. we do an average of 2.5 hours of A time in the morning and 3 in the rest of the day. The other day I watched her for tired signs and she went 3.75 hours of A time and took a great nap of 1.5 so  it is making me think I need to adjust. what do you think?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: typical A time for 8 month old???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:53:36 am »
Hi, the A times you mention (2.5 and 3) are for 6-8mos olds.  So it sounds like your LO could go a bit longer.  We dropped our catnap at about this age. 

Why don't you try extending A time gradually - 10-15 every couple days.

On 2 naps the ideal schedule would be:

7am wake
9.30/10am-11.30 nap 1
2pm-3.30 or 4.00 nap 2
7pm bed

Hope that helps.

Offline LeslieG

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 15:07:15 pm »
Are you having trouble getting your LO down for a nap? This is what I am struggling with right now. She rubs her eyes and yawns but when I take her upstairs she does not want to go down during the day.  I can usually get her down after a bit but I don't know if maybe she isn't ready to sleep yet or she is over tired. This usually happens after about 2.25 or 2.5 hours of awake time.  Should I try 3 hours?  The morning nap is usually the worst.

Leslie

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 18:41:35 pm »
she goes down easily, but only sleeps for 30-40 minutes. I would extend her A time if she is struggeling going down. My dd did that also when she wanted to be awake for longer times. really watch her though. once you see a yawn bring her up. usually when they wipe their eyes they are overtired. my dd is doing 3 hours A time in morning and 3-3.5 in afternoon. I think my dd is just not a huge napper. she sleeps great at night though so I cannot complain. usually 12-13 hours at night.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 04:48:29 am »
IF you wanted longer naps, you could try shaving some of that night sleep back.

Their sleep must be thought of as a total - day + night = the total they will sleep.

Let me know if you want me to expand.

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 05:25:42 am »
just a bit that seemed to help my lo take naps - i used to rock and sing to her as part of her sleep routine and now when i start to she starts to grunt with her eyes closed, then if i don't put her in her crib immediately with her teddy bear near she will throw a fit and be wide awake and refuse her nap...now if i don't try and rock and sing to her and try to put her directly in the crib she will not go down either so i am always pretty much taking her lead when she's had enough she lets me know and goes about doing her own thing.  hope it helps someone out there.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 14:31:43 pm »
I know she sleeps a lot at night. Lat night was 12 hours. But yesterday she took 2 naps and her last nap ended at 2:25 and was an hour long, which I am happy with. So by 6:30 she was exhausted. soI had to put her down. so she slept until 6:20 am. I don't mind if she slept most at night, so I guess I have to take this into consideration.