Author Topic: Small freq. feedings b/c of reflux---  (Read 997 times)

Offline GTsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 30, 2006, 20:39:49 pm »
My DS (11 weeks) has to have small freq. meals b/c of reflux.  Eats every 2-3 hours 3 oz's.  Is there anything different I can do at night to help him sleep longer and still get in what he needs?   Now I put him to bed at around 8:00.  He gets up around 12:00-1:00, 3:00-4:00, and then 6:00-7:00 to eat.  But I feel he has to or he would not get in the amount of formula he needs in a day's time.  I guess it is prob. not anything else I could do after I read this. If he would eat every 2 hours during the day possibly.

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Small freq. feedings b/c of reflux---
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 21:06:44 pm »
Is he on meds? is he bf o bottle fed? this 2 questions are extremely determinant on the amount he could b egetting.

For example, my ds was in a combo of formula and bf and ped and i found that he would tolerate soy much better than other formula and my own milk at nights. SO we'd give him his meds twice a day (night and wake up) and could easily zip him 5oz of soy formula with good tolerance. SOy is much easily digested and therefore it was a lifesaver for us and to start getting more rested nights.

Also, elevating the matress and giving tummy massages for gas might help you to start increasing the dosages for meals and the time between them

Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline GTsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 22:57:44 pm »
Sorry some info would prob help. 

He's 11 weeks. 12.6 lb.'s (last week) and 24 1/s in.'s long. Good size baby.  Diagnosed with silent reflux. Never has spit very much at all.

He is on Allimentum formula.  The GI ped. said in 3 weeks he was going to take him off of this b/c he does not think he has a milk allergy.  The regular ped. had us keep changing formula (he has taken every formula except the Enfamil AR) before she realized that it was his reflux that was causing his fussiness. 

He is on Prevacid.  Started on 15 mg, GI ped. decreased dose to 7.5 mg (said the 15 would not hurt him he didn't think it did anymore for him).  We did the 7.5 mg for a few days and it seemed to get worse (fighting bottle).  So for the last few days we went back to 15 mg.  Also he told us to feed him 3 Tbl.'s of rice cereal to 3 oz's in every other bottle.  My DS does not like the cereal fights with those bottles, once he realizes it does not have cereal in it he will take it.  We have tried it with a couple of different nipples.  The regular Y cut Dr. B's  and a Y cut even more.  Today we are stretching a regular nipple with a big nail through the whole to see if it just the Y nipple's he does not like.  Anyway what I am getting to we may be able to decrease dose again b/c it may have just been the cereal and nipple issue.

BTW before he started fighting his bottles in the first of Jan. he was taking 4 1/2 oz's every 3 hours.
I am late trying the Whispering method.  Just bought the book 2 weeks ago.  And just now able to start reading and trying the techniques a few days ago.

So far everything is working.  He has gone to sleep all on his on in his crib the last 2 nights.  He wakes up to eat but has no trouble falling back a sleep, just really eats in his sleep (kinda like dream feed, but he wakes up for it).  He is taking his first nap for more than about 30 min's in his crib right this second (going on 1 1/2 hours now).

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 20:31:33 pm »
WOW you've been through a rough patch lately :o

I was also late at bwing (i think a couple o weeks later than you) and they kicked in quite quickly. THen we've had the regular setbacks due to teething, growth spurts, etc.

Speaking of growth spurt, there's one to come at 12 weeks so perhaps your ds is particularly hungry because of that? in that case, we should wait another 2 weeks on EASY routine and bw techniques so we have him settled and on track and perhaps the hunger due to growth spurt has disappeard by then (Whishful thinkin' :P)

I think he's waay too young for solids yet. that's why he fought the cereal. His tongue and appetite are so no ready for that. Good on you that you noticed it and went with your instincts. I think you're gonna do much better with the new nipples and cereal-free milk. After trying that, I'd say to wait a week before you low the dosage of Prevacid again. Just to be sure that if something goes wrong is due to the prevacid amount and not other factors. Same with the formula. Wait a week after doing changes (Even if they're as simple as nipples) to switch milk so you know for sure i he has a reaction or does not settle.

You're on the right road. The irst 3 months are the ahrdest... everyone used to tell me that and i just wanted everyone to shut up... but they turned to be right! Here's to more rested nights for you! you're doing a great job! keep us posted so we can figure things out
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake