Author Topic: Adjusting night routine  (Read 801 times)

Offline jthornalley

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Adjusting night routine
« on: January 31, 2006, 10:47:31 am »
Hi all. First time on site  and finding it a great help to read everyone's ideas.  I have a problem with my 3month old.  She is sleeping throught the night very well - 9 hours and naps anywhere between 45mins to an hour in the day. We are on the 3 hour easy at the moment looking to extend to 3.5 and then 4 as she approaches 4 months. my problem is that since she was a newborn we got into the habit of bathing her at 9pm, then last feed at9.30-9.45 then to sleep at 10pm.  She sleeps well with this and has done since 7 weeks old - no night wakings .  I realise now this is far too late and am wanting to get her to bed and sleep at 7.30 with her DF at 10pm.  We tried just going straight in and doing it - changing her bath time to 6.15 pm, then a feed at 6.45 then bed and sleep by 7.30 - however she wakes up 45 mins later and is upset and hard to console. She is then awake until her last feed at 9.45/10pm. The last feed is a formula bottle( she is breast fed during the day) and she is now refusing this last feed, only drinking 2oz where before she had 6oz.

Any advice on how to slowly bring back her bedtime and conquer the fussy, upset last bottle feed.  Sorry a bit rambly - quite anxious!

emilia's mum
Emilia's Mum

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Adjusting night routine
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 14:24:53 pm »
Welcome to the board! I would suggest changing bedtime in 15 min. increments every few days. It will take awhile to get there, but she will be able to adapt better and get used to it. While you are moving it up, try giving her last feed about 2-3 hours after her bedtime, until you achieve the 7:30 bedtime and 10 pm df. If she wakes 45 min after you put her down early, just use pat/sshh to settle her. If you do not change bedtime drastically on her, she will eventually get the idea.

Good luck!
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Adjusting night routine
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 17:49:16 pm »
Yep I agree that it's too soon to change. By slowly moving back 15 mins each day, and keeping it for 3 days before another 15 mins setback, you can let her adpat easily to the change.

Also, as an additional thought, remember that Tracy also used to plea for what's best for the family. SO if your  lo and you and your partner are comfortable with that bedtime, I don't see a reason for changing it. My ds is also a very late night sleeper (he also goes to bed somewhere between 930 and 1030). Im happy with the late mornings! im soooo not  a morning person!

Whatever your choice is, you can adjust your baby to the timing you're comfortable with! and we're here to help!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake