Author Topic: DD chokes so much  (Read 1358 times)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
DD chokes so much
« on: January 31, 2006, 16:06:02 pm »
About a month or so ago, dd started eating more finger/table foods.  She would eat a bite of just about anything I offered her.  This was great.  I was terribly excited and stocked the kitchen with foods for her.  However, we've since had several chocking incidences and I don't know why.  I serve her tiny bites, 1 or 2 at a time, because I think she was putting too much in her mouth.  She's still choking, and meal times are taking so long that she finally gets tired of it and doesn't want to eat anymore.  I'm still serving her a jar of food just to make sure she's had something to eat.  It's not that she doesn't like the food, it's not a "gag, get this out of my mouth" choke, it's a "caught in my throat can't breath" choke.  I try everything by mushing it with my tongue on the roof of my mouth and don't give her anything questionable.  I'm slightly concerned b/c we're about to drop the formula, she's barely drinking 1 oz of milk during the whole day, and her diet is somewhat limited with table foods (won't eat fruit or veggie pieces, only jarred).
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: DD chokes so much
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 00:49:18 am »
Totally strange idea, but maybe a lack of coordination with her swallowing muscles?  Kinda reminds me of me.  No answers as to how to fix that, I just try to be careful.  Doesn't always help.   :-[  Maybe ask the speech pathologist? 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 02:28:05 am »
I would mention it to your pediatrician.  I think sometimes there are medical reasons for it.....can't quite remember what they call it, but dealing with the back of the throat....
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline iggy's_mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 21:07:05 pm »
this is gonna sound very left field but bear with me okay?

we noticed that whenever our son was teething or had a cold he would choke a lot, and we figured that his little throat was so full of mucus that big bits would get stuck.

he even developed a gag reflex that resulted in huge vomits that we would often mistake for tummy bugs (but he was always hungry straight after which meant not a tummy bug!).

we would just hold back on the problem foods a while ie toast and biscuits and cous cous... crumbly things, and then it would go away for a while....

strange i know, but it worked for us!
good luck!
Iggy Bravo : 15 August, 2004 : Spirited/Textbook
Baxter Valentine : 14 January 2007 : Textbook