Author Topic: Just Night Waking or Really Hungry? How Can I tell The Difference????  (Read 1351 times)

Offline LivvyLoosMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When my lo wakes at night at different times (i.e. she's not a habitual waker), will she root or try to put my fingers in her mouth even if she's not hungry? The dr. says she can go 8-10 hrs. w/o eating based on her size, but to me that doesn't mean she won't be hungry that whole time. I'm confused about withholding nighttime feedings since size-wise, she can probably go all night w/o a feed, but respect-wise, I feel like it's a little unfair to withhold food from her if she's rooting and trying to stuff my fingers in her mouth when I offer the paci. I mean, I know I have enough fat reserves on me to last a few months probably  :P but I still get hungry ... so why wouldn't she?  Olivia is 19 pounds, 5 months old, has one tooth and is on a 3- 3.5 hr. routine. So my main question is, will babies still root at night out of habit, even if they're not hungry?  Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 20:22:28 pm by Megs Mom »

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Re: Just Night Waking or Really Hungry? How Can I tell The Difference????
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 00:43:37 am »
Hi There -
I don't know if this will help but perhaps she actually is hungry.  The reason I say this is because typically babies 4 months or older are on the 4 hour EASY.  This means that their feeds are stretched out so they actually eat more at every feeding and are more satisfied.  I know it takes some babies longer than others to get to the 4 hour EASY, so maybe that is the case with Olivia.

Is she falling asleep independently?  If no, then that could be causing the nightwakings.

Don't think I have really helped here but thought I would give it a go.  I am sure you will get some great advice from others.

Take care,

Offline riab

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 20:29:34 pm »
Is she bottle fed or breast fed?

its slightly easier with a bottle fed baby to check if they are having enough. A bottle fed baby should get 2 1/2 times their body weight in pounds in oz formula.
At 19lb thats about 45-50oz formula.

My first instinct is that she needs to be weaned, the guidelines do say 6 months for simplicity BUT remember every baby is different, 19lb is very big for 5 months and its worth knowing that in much of the EU they don't do it by age but by weight. Once a baby is past 16 weeks and capable of sitting upright they will generally be ready to be weaned when they are having 35oz+ of formula and still waking/chewing on hands/not lasting 4hrs between feeds.

have a chat with your health visitor or similar but I'd say with such a big baby you are unlikely to be able to get enough food/milk into her during the day.

(btw my lo was 15lb and 5 1/2 months old when we weaned and he has been abosolutly fine with it! keep early food nice and bland, we did rice, pear and carrot for a week)

hth

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 07:54:41 am »
Hi there

I agree with Melissa - at 5 months lo's are usually on a 4 hour EASY which means that your lo would be a bit hungrier at feed times and take a bigger feed - giving her more calories during the day.  There are sample routines by age at the top of the EASY board - you can have a look at those for an idea of how a 4 hour EASY works.

I also think you should look at how your DD falls asleep - if she is not able to fall asleep independently then it is possible that she is calling for help from you to get her back to sleep during the night. 

I think that you will know if she is hungry because she will resettle fairly easily if she is not hungry - but will be difficult to settle or will wake again soon after if she is actually hungry.

From the research I have read I would not suggest to start solid foods until your lo is 6 months - babies digestive systems aren't ready for solid food before that stage and in fact introducing solid foods too early can cause sleep disruptions.   

HTH, good luck