Author Topic: Question About Sleep Cycle Length  (Read 862 times)

Offline billybuttercup

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 31, 2006, 22:41:59 pm »
I just spent an hour at my 2.5 month old son's bedside applying gentle pressure and patting him in an attempt to get him to stay asleep. However, he was in light sleep the entire time (I could tell because he doesn't close his eyes fully when in light sleep, he had shallow breathing, and he jolted every few minutes). He didn't transition into a deeper sleep until after 60 minutes, and normally when he does finally make it into that cycle, he's only ever there for about 20 minutes!!! Is this normal? He did let out the phantom cry at the 25 min mark (and I was able to calm him down without having to pick him up, but I think he woke up fully because he was quite upset), and then he let out the cry again at the 50 minute mark, but I was able to keep him asleep. Is it possible that perhaps he tried to make it into the deep sleep cycle at the 25 min mark but failed? Or is it possible that his light sleep cycle was actually that long?  ???

Also, at 2.5 months, how much awake time should he be having between naps? He is currently a 30 min napper and I have been working diligently on extending his naps (this morning it took 2.5 hours just to get him to have 40 minutes of broken sleep!!!). I'm quite confused on the whole awake time issue and I must admit I'm not very good at deciphering his "tired" cues. :-[

Thanks ladies  :)

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Question About Sleep Cycle Length
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 22:39:39 pm »
hi,

i think when he gets better at going to sleep you will see improvement in the nap length.  until then.... well, just keep trying to extend, etc.

about 1 hr of awake time is probably average.  depending on temperment, he could need more or less.  there are lots of routines posted in the EASY forum to help give you a better idea of what you can shoot for

i realize that's about as clear as mud, but that at least gives you somewhere to start!!  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy