Author Topic: Food Allergies in the Older Child  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Amsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Food Allergies in the Older Child
« on: January 22, 2006, 20:52:20 pm »
My daughter is 4 and gets wicked stomache aches. She just went through the skin testing and came up with a dustmite allergy. We have scheduled the food testing for Feb 2nd because unbeknownst to me the allergiest didnt test for food at the time. Im so curious if there is a connection to her stomache aches.

She was a reflux baby. Nothing seemed to work. We went through so many formulas and it finally ended when she was 8 months old. Her pediatrician had documentation that she had a milk allergy. I didnt know that. That was never explained to me I found this out when I looked at her preschool records. All I know is that she had reflux.

Could some of this still be lingering. Does anyone know of any older child with food allergies. Im also suspect of wheat. She gets excema and stomache aches. Also real bad shiners.

Mommy to Sweet Amber

Offline Amsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Food Allergies in the Older Child
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 20:53:44 pm »
By the way that word is documentation. I dont know why it didnt let me type it.
Mommy to Sweet Amber

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 21:09:04 pm »
By the way that word is do!@!entation. I dont know why it didnt let me type it.

Because it has do c u m ention in it (the system is a bit touchy) ;).

You know it sounds very much like an allergy to me (eczema goes along with food allergies). It might not be that she got them when she was older. It might be that her symptoms have changed or it's finally built up in her system enough to show through. I would doc u ment when she eats and how her stomach/eczema reacts until your appt. with an allergist. That could turn out to be very helpful. ;)
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline preston,parker&peytonsmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:58:53 am »
Totally agree with Kayna about keeping track of when she has dairy and how she reacts to it.  As I told you in your post about antibiotics, Peyton has a milk allergy that didn't really cause any symptoms until she was 2.  We then battled for 18 months before finding out it was milk.  Peyton often has shiners when I've let her have milk products.  She also has a mold allergy that has caused a few issues but only in the fall-her specific allergy is to the mold that grows in fallen leaves so that's why hers is bad in fall.  Anyway, being able to tell the allergist that she had no milk for this many days and then she had milk and her nose started running again helped to convince him I wasn't clueless I think.  Anyway, hope you find out something helpful!  Keep us updated!!!  And by the way, Peyton is 4 1/2-will be 5 in July.
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-
Peyton (7-20-01), Parker (7-18-03) and Preston (3-22-06)

Offline Amsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 20:48:39 pm »
o.k. Thank you very much. Her testing is thursday. Ill post back.!
Mommy to Sweet Amber

Offline agw

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 21:31:37 pm »
I had Gwynne tested for allergies something like 9mo ago. The testing came up totally negative. I have my doubts about the validity of the test, but that's another story.  ::)

One of the things the Allergist tried to tell me was that skin testing for food allergies was by no means conclusive. The only thing in his opinion that indicated a true allergy was a food challenge. That's where the food is ingested and an immediate, discernable reaction was noted. Personally, I find that less than credible when compared to anecdotal history.

Gwynne shows a marked difference in her shiners, under-eye puffiness/redness, runny nose, and eczema, when I keep her minimal on dairy consumption. When she's been somewhere where she's allowed to drink a bunch of milk, she's invariable sick within days. Oh, but she tested negative on the skin test for any allergies including milk, y'know the one I said I didn't believe? Empirical evidence tells me she has food and environmental allergies, the doctors' tests tell me she doesn't. Which one do you think I'm going to believe?  ;)

Allergy testing aside, go with your mommy's instinct and observation about what makes your kid healthy or not. :)
Alicia
Gwynne Katherine - 28 April 2000 Textbook
Rowan Elizabeth - 12 January 2002 Spirited/refluxer
Pampered Chef Consultant (email or PM if you have questions!)