Author Topic: When is it the right time to sleep through the night?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline hasmib

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Baby Holi
When is it the right time to sleep through the night?
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:56:36 am »
Dear All,

I am a new mother to be trying to get as prepared as possible..........

According to my knowledge dream/cluster feeding is something you start from day one, when is the expected age ( I realise all babies are different - however........) that your baby should first drop the night feed 2 am ish and then drop the dream feed at around 10pm ish and start sleeping 7 pm to 7am?

Thanks

Hasmi

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: When is it the right time to sleep through the night?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 12:21:10 pm »
That is a really hard one to answer. I'm not sure there is an average age for babies to sleep through.
Mine started 7-7 at 12 weeks, yet my neighbors 7 month old still doesn't do it.
I think that if you go into it with no expectations for 12 hour nights you'll probably be better off. In the long run if your LO doesn't sleep that way, you'll be less disapointed.
It'd be interesting to know what others think.
Kimberly

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 14:53:54 pm »
Yeah,
See i went into thinking that my lo should sleep 12 hours and was really disappointed and fusterated that he still wasn't at 6 months.  I had a couple bad nights and decided to change my whole view on it and that he is just not a baby that is going to until he is ready, hes an individual and that is how I want him to be his whole life.  Mind you that was only 2 weeks ago.
There are still nights, like last night, that at 2am, i'm not to happy the ds is wide awake and then wants to get up to play again at 6am. (usually sleeps into 8 after his night feeds).  i know this doesn't answer your questions, but i was the same way wanted to be so prepared, and then when ds didn't follow not one "guideline", seriously, not one, I was so upset, thought I was a horrible mom, everything.
Just a little piece of advice from me ;)
hth
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 09:20:19 am »
I completely agree with the previous posters!!

If you have an expectation you will only be disappointed.

My DS (a little over 10 months) still has not slept through the night.  Truly, all babies are different.  Your LO will do so only on their schedule, and not yours.

Good luck with your new arrival

Offline madeleine18

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 15:56:15 pm »
In Tracy's book she does not recommend cluster feeding until babies are 6 weeks+, but dream feeds are fine.  My lo is 13 weeks today and I have just started to cluster and dream feed.  So far my ds has slept through twice but he usually wakes 1 or 2 times but I don't feed him, I use sh/pat to settle him and he usually goes back to sleep.  Hope this is helpful.
Madeleine Wiltshire