Author Topic: How much and when at 1  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
How much and when at 1
« on: February 01, 2006, 22:08:38 pm »
I am not sure if this is the right section to post now that I am talking about cow's milk but hopefully someone can help.

My dd is now just over 1 and is having 3 milk feeds a day of roughly 5oz each. She would drink more I think but she has a very healthy solids appetite so I don't want to overfeed her.

I normally give her her breakfast first thing and then follow this up with a beaker of milk around 10/10:30. She has lunch and then has her next milk feed around 3ish after she has woken from her nap. She has dinner and then her last milk feed of the day is at bedtime. The rest of the time and with meals she has a beaker of water.

Does this sound about right for her age? My dd seems totally happy with things this way and loves her milk it is just a few comments I have received off people recently that are making me question what I am giving her and when.
Sam's Mum

Offline DJs mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Re: How much and when at 1
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 22:14:58 pm »
What you are doing is basically what I wish our ds would let us do!  At the moment he is taking 0 feeds :o  I posted earlier this evening in the solid food and weaning board to see if anyone had any advice.  He just doesn't seem to want any milk.  He'll happily have it on cereal or in food etc, but he just doesn't seem to want to drink it.

If you and Samantha are happy then I would carry on what you're doing.  Sounds like it's working a treat.

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 13:15:49 pm »
Thanks for that. I normally follow the if my dd is happy then go with it principle but I was having one of my no confidence days.

Sounds like you are having smiliar problems to my mate - the only way she can get her dd to have milk is on her cereal or in her food. I understand it is quite common for babies not to like cow's milk - its funny I think we kind of assume they will automatically like it when there is no reason they should.

I would say as long as your lo is getting a varied diet and you are getting some milk in his food there is no need to worry.

I don't know whether you have seen the toddler milk in the supermarkets which they market as being just as good if not better than cow's milk. That has a taste somewhere between formula and cow's milk. I tried my dd on it for a few days before her transisition to cow's milk and she loved it. Might be worth trying your ds on that for a few days and then trying some cow's milk again. Only downside is that the toddler milk isn't cheap.

Sam's Mum

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 14:08:27 pm »
Hi Hun

The recommendation for 12 months is 350ml (2/3 of a pint) of cow's milk per day. This doesn't all have to be as a drink though - this includes what you use on cereal plus milk products - cheese, yoghurts etc.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 22:41:50 pm »
i was going to post similarly today so hope you don't mind if i jump in here - Liv does not take a great deal of solids most days (she is 99% finger foods so it takes ages for her to eat and she has a very varied appetite for solids ) and i always make sure milk is AFTER solids and separated by an hour or more so she does not start thinking she gets bottle if not enough solids, BUT having said that  - she is 11 1/2 mo and takes 3 big bottles a day. she takes on average 8oz(240ml) after breakfast 9which is her worst solids meal of the day always) and takes between 6-8oz after lunch (170-240ml) and amazingly at bedtime she takes about 270-300ml (9-11oz) if we try to limit bedtime bottle to 8 oz she will cry for more food until we give it to her and then she settles immediately so  she definitely needs that amount to feel satisfied at bedtime.

i used to worry she was not drinking enough and now we have the opposite dilemma.  should i be imposing more of a limit on her milk?? i try to get more solids in but it is hit and miss. thankfully she is currently loving yogurt so i can get more of that in by spoon (she does her spoon and i sneak in more with mine). will occassionally let us feed her a jar of food but everything else is simple finger oods.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified