Author Topic: 10 months old and still on purees only!  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Hsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 02, 2006, 01:38:30 am »
Hi
My 10 month old will still only eat the smoothest purees. He only got his first 2 teeth two weeks ago - does this have anything to do with it? Teething rusks or biscuits just get played with, then thrown away. The slightest lump or texture, or anything not sweet causes gagging or vomiting....Any advice?

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: 10 months old and still on purees only!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 04:18:10 am »
Well, unfortunately, it sounds like your LO has a very sensitive mouth.  It's not that unusual and just means that he still has a pretty active gag reflex and that he is unusually sensitive to textures.  My advice is to keep at it, albeit slowly.  Finger foods might also be a good way to introduce him to textures.  Some babies freak out if there are lumps in their purees, but are fine with finger foods.  It's just a matter of them not being prepared to chew anything in a soft food, and therefore it upsets them.  Rest assured that all babies do get the hang of eating lumpier foods, but each one decides when they are ready.  I would not give up though, try the finger foods first and see what happens. 

Offline Hsmum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:22:39 am »
Thanks for your reply. Actually today I stirred some pasta into a jar of his favourite veggies and blended it to a coarse puree and he actually ate it! So that's a start! Just got to be patient I guess, though it's hard when I see my friends' younger babies eating "proper" food!

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 15:09:04 pm »
My ds took a long time to fully switch to regular food.  And he took a LONG time to go from eating purees to puffs to cheerios to other finger food.  Even now, he doesn't like to eat fruit in pieces, but he LOVES puree fruit.  I can get him to take some banana, but finger food peaches, pears, etc., are smushed and then thrown overboard.

What foods have you tried?  Have you tried the Gerber puffs?  That's what we started out with , and I would break them in half.  They dissolve in their mouths.  Then we moved onto cheerios (after a long while), and on from there.

Good luck!

Offline Hsmum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 06:10:57 am »
Thank you for your reply! The thing is, I live in Japan  (I'm British) and the manufactured baby food here is limited. Today I tried some little "egg biscuits" (says on the pack "OK from 7 months") which were about the same size as Cheerios and he managed to chomp on 4 of them!

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 20:33:55 pm »
Dd would eat only puree and finger food and nothing in between.  Then about two weeks ago she stopped eating puree period and wants whatever we're having.  Just keep at it and be patient.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Hsmum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 09:37:46 am »
It's as if he knew I'd written that post! He ate a pizza crust (hardly any cheese and smudge of tomato) and a thick lentil/veg puree today! I'm keeping at it, will see what happens!

bradleysmum

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 12:31:18 pm »
Hi there, my DS is 9 months old and is exactly the same. He will only eat puree but if there is the smallest lump in it he will gag and vomit. With finger food he will bite it and then spit it out. After being weighed last week he was found to have lost weight so is being referred to a paediatrition. Im scared to try him with lumps again as he was so sick yesterday after trying. :P