Author Topic: I'm ready to concede...  (Read 988 times)

Offline michael's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I'm ready to concede...
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:51:44 am »
Okay... my son is four months old... we follow 4-hour EASY... wake at 7am to sleep at 7:30pm and df at 11pm... he is breastfed... he sleeps great at night... I can't complain at all... BUT he is the shortest napper... I've been tracking and working with him since Christmas... pre-nap is usually quiet play... if not we'll read a story or two to wind down... we have a consistent nap routine that is different from our bedtime routine... he does have a pacifier... sometimes he falls asleep with it in... sometimes he spits it out before he's asleep...

He most always wakes 28 minutes into his nap... I feel like I've tried everything (suggestions left for other parents, read both books and the sleep interview)... wake to sleep doesn't work... he is happy when he wakes so I don't do pu/pd... he even wakes when we're in the car!!!... I tried making his room super dark but the light doesn't seem to bother him when we're napping together... he is swaddled and he generally falls asleep within 3 minutes of going down... the only thing that seems to work is if I nap with him... he still wakes up after the :28 minutes but at least I am focused and he goes back to sleep... if he's sleeping by himself I find that I leave to early and then I'm in and out for the next hour and a 1/2... I know it's my job but I can't just sit in there :-[... and I can't keep napping four hours a day...

I've been contemplating letting him get up after the 28 minutes and then watching to see if he gets tired and will go down again before it's time to eat...

oh yeah... and usually when he wakes from a 2 hour nap he's not really happy (wakes crying)... not like I'd expect and like I have seen occasionally (wakes smiling and talking)...

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... or tell me I'm crazy and I just need to stick with it...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 03:59:42 am by michaelgil »

Offline rossilu

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 14:37:43 pm »
i'm probably not the best to give advice/suggestions (as we only had our first 2 successful nap days yesterday and the day before)  but here is what i did.  (probably the biggest thing is that i FINALLY found a pacifier he will take...at 5 months, lol).

i started putting him down earlier than usual (i usually wait for the first sleep sign which sometimes wasn't coming before 3 or even 4 hours awake (not good!)  so yesterday morning, he woke at 7:30 and i started quiet time (books) at 9:15, took him upstairs at 9:30, read another book, sang quietly, swaddled him, gave paci (woohoo) and laid him down ~ he was out by 10:05.  we also struggle(ed??) w/ 30 minute naps, so i went up at 10:30 ~ before he stirred, i put the paci in (he spits it out when asleep) he kind of fought it...and i thought he'd wake up (before i just put my hand on him and when he moved i thought that was good enough...not) anyway, this was definitly more intrusive on his sleep than just putting my hand on his chest.  well, he briefly opened his eyes then started sucking and fell back asleep.  i stayed w/ him and saw him jolt again at 45 minutes but he put himself back to sleep.  for the afternoon, i think we waited too long and he only slept for 45 minutes, so today i'm gonna really try to get him down way BEFORE i normally would.  does that make sense?  like you, my son was waking up VERY happy after most 30 minute naps....talking, smiling, etc. (and waking after 30 minutes in the car, stroller, etc.)  i finally saw (on sunday) that he would (and could) sleep for TWO hours when i held him, so i knew he needed more.  we are still working on it...maybe some days he needs more than others?  (we still have night wakings...working on that now).   anyway, sorry this was so long ~ but my suggestions, try quiet time WAY before nap time (for the afternoon, i just layed him on a blanket on the floor...tv off while dh and i had a quiet lunch) and try laying him down earlier than usual....also, try to catch that 1st stir before it happens and be a little more aggressive w/ it (i know it's scary to actually WAKE them when the are finally sleeping!).  GOOD LUCK!

Offline michael's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: I'm ready to concede...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 04:27:52 am »
Thanks for the suggestions... I've actually tired leaving one arm out of his swaddle and putting what may become his lovey on his tummy... he strokes the puppy's ear while he's falling asleep... he has been able to sleep for 1 1/2 to 2 hours like this the last couple of days... he's still napping in our bed but I don't really care as long as he's sleeping...

thanks again for the ideas...