Author Topic: Rolling Onto Tummy  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Rolling Onto Tummy
« on: February 02, 2006, 11:05:33 am »
Hi everyone. Also posted this on night waking board but thought maybe I'd get more response here. DD (24 weeks today) has basically slept through w/o DF since 3 months. However, her sleep from 3-5 am has always been restless. Then deeper again until 6:30 or so waking. Which is fine with me. However, lately, she's been SO much more mobile and rolling a ton. The past few nights I've found her sleeping on belly. Now I don't mind since she has amazing head and neck control. She seems really peaceful sleeping this way middle of night - but come 4-5 am when she's more restless and realizes this way she starts crying in sleep/half sleep. Sometimes she will go right back to sleep but other times the crying goes on a bit. After 1-2 minutes I've been going in and rolling her onto side. However, this seems to totally wake her up. Sometimes she'll go back to sleep after up to one hour of talking to self - other times it means we are up for day.

She is not swaddled.

Any ideas?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Rolling Onto Tummy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:27:34 pm »
Would she go back to sleep if you didnt roll her onto her side? If she's still half asleep, she possibly would.

Soon she'll be able to roll onto her back again if she's uncomfortable. x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 12:33:31 pm »
Thanks for your response. I'm not sure. I mean she has at some times but come that 5am or so time she's getting into such a light sleep. So I let her fuss for a bit but if/when it seems like she's not just going back to sleep I roll her onto side. Should I let it go longer unless it really escalates? Maybe just go in and pat her butt?

She's gotten quite good at rolling both ways during A times - but maybe harder in crib in dark? I am starting to do some tummy time with her in crib after each nap, maybe that will help too? She loves tummy time and thinks it's great fun and exercise - I think that's part of the problem - she wakes up on tummy and is confused and thinks it's play time, not sleep time but is still tired?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 13:08:12 pm »
my ds seemed to take longer to be able to roll about on the mattress - i think it's harder for them on a soft/springy surface.

Does she have any toys attached to her cot?
We found that our ds wakes up during the night - we hear him playing - but he's happy to play for a bit, then go back to sleep again.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 14:01:14 pm »
She just got stuck on tummy twice and freaked out whle trying to fall asleep for nap #1. Yea - must be harder for them to roll back on the soft surface and more narrow area. Will just keep practicing I guess.

She has one crib soother/toy which she loves - she can't totally turn it on herself yet but seems close.

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 14:28:35 pm »
I think you'll find that she'll do it all by herself in a few weeks. Once theyre able to switch on their own toys, it's great! Good luck.