Author Topic: SIDS - Placing crib in same room as parents  (Read 1151 times)

Offline PaulaJedi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
SIDS - Placing crib in same room as parents
« on: February 02, 2006, 12:43:31 pm »
Hi. I'm a mommy-to-be due May 5th.  I've recently read articles about SIDS and one suggested keeping the
baby in the same room as us parents (in crib or bassinet) to prevent the baby from sleeping so deeply that it
wouldn't wake up if it stopped breathing.  What is everyone's opinion about this?

My main concern is her getting used to being in with us and later not wanting to be in her own room.
Also, because this is my frist child, I have all kinds of fears and there just seems to be too much information
on the internet.  Every family member I have has a different opinion about SIDS (and they are all in the medical field!),
so I don't know what to believe. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: SIDS - Placing crib in same room as parents
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:48:48 pm »
when i was pregnant i tried not to read too much on the internet as evrything you read , people have different opinions, and more information comes out as time goes on. we had decided early on that ds would be in our room to start with , purely because it would be easier in the night with feedings. we didn't actually move ds into his own room untill he was 6 months and we had no problems with the transition.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Mia and Lily's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Princess Mia & Tornado Lily
Re: SIDS - Placing crib in same room as parents
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 15:39:10 pm »
Congratulations on having your first.

I agree with Ryan's mom, don't read too much of this stuff on the internet, you tend to get all the more scary things mentioned there.  I remember when I was pregnant with dd#1 I had to stop reading "what to expect" because all the stuff in there was giving me nightmares.

With regards to the crib in room vs. own room, both our dds slept in a bassinet in our room for the first 4 month (dd# 1 for 6 month) but mostly because that would make the nighttime feedings for me much easier, since I breastfeed both of them.  Also I have to admit that I wanted them in our room for piece of mind, so I could get up and check on them several times at night  ::)

The transition into their own rooms was no problem at all, since they really just went from one crib to another and never knew the difference.  Again that was harder on mommy than the girls  ;)

The other thing that really helped me ease my mind was getting a video monitor so that instead of just hearing dd, I could actually see them on a little TV, and see that they were actually moving in their sleep.

Hope this helps.

Chris