Author Topic: Connection between Avocados and Latex allergy  (Read 3051 times)

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Connection between Avocados and Latex allergy
« on: February 05, 2006, 20:20:46 pm »
I found this article and thought I would share it.  My question is...  has anyone experienced the opposite?  Allergic to avocados and then found out they were allergic to latex?  How pushy should I be with my dr for tests?  My lo had an awful reaction to avocados as posted earlier in another thread. 

Thanks

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

Avocados and Latex Allergy

Avocados contain enzymes called chitinases that can cause allergic reactions in people with latex sensitivities. Studies have shown a strong association between latex allergies and allergic reactions to avocado. The treatment of avocados with ethylene gas to induce ripening can increase the presence of these allergenic enzymes. Individuals with latex allergy should avoid eating avocados in cooked or raw form. However, if you really love avocados, some evidence suggests that cooked forms of this food may be acceptable for allergy-sensitive individuals since cooking can deactivate the enzymes that may be responsible for the cross-reaction with latex.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Connection between Avocados and Latex allergy
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 23:59:15 pm »
REgarding latex allergy, very pushy.  Bananas are in the same class, I think.  Thanks for the link!!  Latex allergy is becoming more common, and can be dangerous.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Connection between Avocados and Latex allergy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 01:16:52 am »
Jenn:  Thanks for the advice.  He is going in soon for his 6 mos needles so I'll ask then.  He's been ok with bananas, but interesting that they would both be a sign of a latex allergy.  Truly interesting.  Thanks again.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)