Author Topic: How to determine a food allergy  (Read 1223 times)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
How to determine a food allergy
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:19:19 am »
Hi,
I am starting my 6 month old on Veg, (already have cereal and fruit) and I was just wondering how to spot a food allergy or intolerence.  I read the site that was recommended in an above post but was just wondering how do I tell if it is that or just teething, bad day, or just something else.  It seems the symptoms for everything are always the same?  DP nor I have any food allergies in our family but like i have posted b4, Doc. thinks ds might have a milk allerdy, do to stuffiness, exzema, and constint spitting up.  So I am just wondering how to tell with food??
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: How to determine a food allergy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 16:19:42 pm »
Good question!!  As far as I can think, if he reacts negatively to something, hold off on it.  If he does the same thing with lots of stuff, I would be inclined to think teething or something else.  Have you tried eliminating dairy?  Those symptoms might mask an intolerance to something else.  I'll keep thinking.... 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: How to determine a food allergy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 00:05:07 am »
Hi,
I have posted lots about lo possiable milk allergy(which i really don't think he has, but im not doc) and his seemenly intolence to everything new we try.  This week was the third time i have introduced veg, because everytime we have tried after a couple days, lo get cranky(to put it mildly) and won't sleep at night.  So i went to go see a doctor other than my usual today for a second opinion on his milk allergy and the whole veg thing.  He said that he doesn't think he has a milk allergy at all, because nothing changed when we switched to soy formula (lo spits up all the time) and after we switched is when the exzema had started.  with the veg he doesn't believe its an allergy because there is no diareah, weight loss, rash, developmental delay etc.  He said he really has no idea what could be causeing it but refered me to a ped.  He said sometimes it is a problem with the stomach not able to close up after being full, but that can usually be determined by feelingit from the outside, and he couldn't.  I was just wondering if anything simular has happened with anyone else.  And if they have any ideas as to why with the veg, he get cranky and won't sleep??
I have restarted him on regular cows milk formula again as doc said soy can also bring on allergies.  I hope all goes well.  Starting to get a bit concerned.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80