Author Topic: No milk at all????  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: February 03, 2006, 17:10:47 pm »
Ok this is the 4th day dd wonŽt drink her bottles at all. She eats solids as crazy but does not want any kind of milk taste. She is on reflux meds since birth and dosage has been updated. Just when she became exactly 8 months she started to refuse her bottles. PYes I tried sippy with no success... Can any one advice me please it feels horrible knowing a baby that does not like milk... Anyone in the same situation now or before please????????

??? ??? ??? ???

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: No milk at all????
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 17:21:26 pm »
have you tried adding some milk to her solids?

A friend's dd was the same - she put it down to teething. She also reckoned it was because her dd loved solids so much that she thought drinking milk was a waste of time and effort!
x

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 17:33:59 pm »
Hey thanks... I think dd thinks the same she loves solids and hates sucking from her bottle. I put milk to everything she eats but it is not the same amount of milk at all... Should I worry or let her pass? Would it pass someday or I just forget about bottles and  milk?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 17:36:36 pm by Sparklingeyes »

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 17:44:42 pm »
How much formula is she getting each day (whether from the bottle or in her food)?

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 17:48:32 pm »
Like 8 oz. And sometimes 3 at night when I manage to feed her asleep.  I am really worried.

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 17:56:37 pm »
is that all from the bottle?

Have you tried Weetabix with lots of formula? You could easily get a few ounces in her if she'd take it that way...

Or a cheese sauce over veg or pasta - again, make it with formula. She only needs another 6 or 7 ounces, as far as books (UK) suggest.

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 18:03:22 pm »
I have had a look on the internet, and it says that the main reason babies need formula is to supply them with plenty of iron. If I were you, I'd make sure that the solids your dd is eating are full of iron and Vit C. Here's a bit from the internet...

"Animal sources of iron include liver, kidneys, red meat, poultry, fish (especially oysters and clams), and eggs. Plant sources of iron include peas, beans, nuts, dried fruits, leafy green vegetables (especially spinach), enriched pastas and breads, and fortified cereals.

To optimize the amount of iron you get from plant foods, eat them with a food high in Vitamin C at the same meal. Foods high in Vitamin C include broccoli, tomatoes, greens, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, cantaloupe and citrus fruits."

hope this helps.

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 18:21:28 pm »
have to go offline now - I'll be on again tomorrow all day (at work  ;) ), so i'll get back to you then, if you need me!
x

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 18:29:56 pm »
Thanks a lot for your help... She does not like oatmeal with milk... She eats daily green veggies and fruit with Vitamin C. IŽll try to put more milk on her food. She eats cheese and all kinds of i. Thanks again a lot on advice.
 ;)

Offline vmcdonald28

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 09:16:55 am »
no problem. Let me know how you get on.
what about porridge or something custardy for breakfast - you'd get plenty of formula in then
x

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 18:37:50 pm »
Hi There,
my dd gave up her bottles at 6 months and never went back on them. To this day she will only drink about 2 oz of milk a day and not everyday and she is fine. By the way she also suffered from reflux too. When she started I tried every milk and formula on the market and nothing worked. After 3 weeks of refusal she finally took some cows milk from my Moms spoon as my Mom was having cereal for breakfast, so for the next 2.5 months she got tiny amounts of cows milk from a spoon. I gave baby porridge, made with milk though the carton said to make with water, I gave her biscuits, milupa type with milk for dinner and she had lunch plus a small snack, fruit powder mix again made with milk though the packet said water. When she got to 9 months I cut out the afternoon snack and replaced it with natural yogurt and fruit puree. At about 11 months I got rid of the biscuits and she went to a proper alabeit puree dinner. To this day she still doesnt drink much milk, wont drink anything else during the day, wont eat cheese, but she eats 2 180g pots of yogurt, after lunch and dinner, has weetabix with milk for brekkie, and as she is on a food phase for the last 4 months eats ready brek with milk for dinner. I know it's worrying but if your lo wont have milk then there is nothing you can do, just try to get the calcium in in other ways if you can.
By the way dd's weight has always been fine and she has been off her reflux meds for almost 4 months now,