Author Topic: Nap problems or not enough night time sleep  (Read 844 times)

Offline james030405

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Nap problems or not enough night time sleep
« on: February 04, 2006, 00:14:12 am »
I have a 10mth DS and I am not sure if the problems we are having are due to naps, not enough night time sleep or a combination of a few things.

1. Firstly he stayed over at grandparents about 1 week ago and they slightly deviated from the routine.
2. He has been sick this week with tonsillitis and a runny nose (possibly teething as well).
3. Has been having trouble settling for naps and sleep.
4. Has about 10-11hrs a night
5. Naps - he has only been getting about 1.5hrs when he use to have at least 2.5hrs.

Our routine over the last couple of days has looked like this:

4:45-5am - wake up (doesn't want to play just screams to get up - use to play for at leas 30mins)
6am milk
7am breakfast
7:30am wash/shower
8am play
8:30am shows tired signs but will not go to sleep
9:30am sleep
10:30am awake and has morning tea and water
12:00am lunch + water
1:00/1:30pmpm milk
2pm:  try to put to sleep but will not go (does if in the car/pram which is unusual)
3:30pm afternoon tea
5pm dinner
5:30pm bath
6pm milk
6:30pm wind down
7pm bed

Before this, I had 2 weeks of not waking till at least 6am and then he would play.  James would settle for naps with no assistance except for a little cry.
Nap #1 was usually for about 1.5hrs and nap #2 was for at least 1-1.5hrs.
Bedtime - usually needs assistance but would sleep from 7-6

Is he maybe ready to transistion to only one nap or could this be because of him being sick.  I am not sure about being awake for 4hrs in the morning either.  He does show the tired signs sooner,but when I put him down he screams and when I go back in he just wants to play. 

Any advice/assistance would be most grateful

Thanks

Lisa mum to James my textbook koala
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Nap problems or not enough night time sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 03:28:51 am »
hi,

i think your routine has probably gotten more off kilter cause of sickness.  by 10 months, unless your parents did something REALLY wacky, he should be okay from that.

if he's waking that cranky first thing in the morning, i think i would work really hard to get him to go back to sleep.  he's not even hungry for another hour, so i think it would be worth it to invest some pu/pd time to try & extend that nighttime sleep.

also, i noticed that you were going 3.5 hrs before his first nap... that's probably too long, and though he could sleep, he's now overtired and it's hard to sleep (thus throwing off the rest of the day).  on a super good day, i think luke was going 2.5 hrs, but it was usually closer to 2 hours.  as the day goes on, they can handle longer & longer A times.  however, if you work on extending wake up time to 6am, 8:30 is a good nap time for him. 

anyhow, hopefully that gives you someplace to start!   :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline james030405

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
Re: Nap problems or not enough night time sleep
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 10:30:13 am »
Thanks for your reply.  I was aware of the long A time in the morning, but he just wouldn't go down.  We have actually had a better day today with 2 naps totally 2hrs.  So hopefully it was just the illness and we are starting to get back on track.  I had noticed when he was waking at 6am he was ready for a nap at 8:30am and would sleep for 1.5hrs. 

Once again, thanks for your help

Lisa
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]