Author Topic: Flat Heads - Helmets  (Read 1985 times)

Offline firsttimer37

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 04, 2006, 02:20:26 am »
At my DS's 4 mth Dr's appointment, the Dr suggested I take my DS to a physical therapist to do some craniosacral therapy (sp) to correct the flat spot on the back of his head.  The therapist said his flat spot wasn't that bad BUT I had to keep him off of his back.  This means buying wedges so he can sleep on his side, LOTS of tummy time (which he doesn't like that much), no swing (I know I shouldn't be using it anyways), and limit the amount of time he spends in his carseat (I cancelled a trip to see grampa - 4 hr car ride). I even had to change the way I hold him.  We just had our 4th therapy session.  I am not sure how many more the therapist had in mind.  I ask but she is very vague about it.  All I know is that I don't want him to wear the helmet if I can do something to help correct the situation. 

Has anyone had a similar experience? 

Judy
DS - William 8-29-05

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Re: Flat Heads - Helmets
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 12:22:10 pm »
DD had a flat head and we've had a good success at rounding it out without a helmet.

I would say whyt your ped said was good advce but maybe a bit unrealistic. Did they say anything about how long you would have to do all of this for? I ask cos a babies head dosn't fuse together till after 14mo, so there is alsways a risk that if you fix it now it could falten out again in the future. I'm not saying don't do what he suggested, you want to round it out know any prevention is definately better that sorting it out tin the future. But i don't think its worth dramartically changing your life as you mentioned.

for instance, not going in the car seat. I would still go on long journeys, but give intersing things to look at either side so he moves his head round whilst in the seat. When you get out the other end make sure he gets lots of tummy time and be careful how you hold him. but don't not go, thats not fair to baby, grandpa and also you!!!

wedges are a good idea,  but he will need to be turned regualry and spend some time on his back or else he'll get flatter at the side of the head!!!

I would loko at waht he suggested and then adapt it to living your life in the real world, don't be scared to put him on his back or in his swing if thats what he needs/wants, or gives you ten minutes peace to have a shower/cook dinner/have a rest. It won't do him any harm.

Ask the dr what his long term advice would be, realistically. It will get loads better when ds can sit up and then wants to crawl and evenutally walk as he'll be spening less time on his back anyway. But i do sympathis with the tummy time thing, DD hated it and i couldn't force her to lie on her front, she's scream all the time!!!

Hugs to you, try not to worry too much, its will get better with time, but try not to stress yourself and him out with drs advice.
Kxx
Kimberley

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 20:10:00 pm »
Ewan did have a flat head, and still does to a certain extent, and he did wear a helmet.  You have been given some great advice and I would definitely do all of the suggestions but don't totally change your life for it.  Like the previous poster said you can still take car trips and such just be sure when your little one is awake that he is upright or on his tummy. 

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 20:42:02 pm »
here's a link to a website i've found useful. there are some sucess stories to do with helmets, but don't get scared that your baby will get this severe, sound like you've caught it nice and early. But I've posted it cos theres some good advice and links to other sites that may be of use.
http://www.headstart4babies.co.uk/
Kimberley

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 00:09:19 am »
My DS wears a helmet currently.  He has torticollis (muscle tightening on the right side of his neck) which caused him to always want to look left when he slept which made the left side of his head have a flat spot.  I think all the suggestions you mentioned are great.  Just do what you can to keep his head from getting flatter.  I wish I had been told to do more of those same things but my pediatrician acted like it was no big deal and it is!  I really didn't want to go the helmet route, either, but after 9 months it didn't seem to be improving.  I'm not sure where you live, but here in the US, they recommend helmet therapy for best results from ages 4-7 months old.  I wish I had done the helmet therapy earlier but as I said we didn't start 'til 9 months.  He will probably have to wear it longer than he would have had we done it when he was younger.  But, the doctor still feels we will see some results though maybe not as dramatic.  It really hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.  Yes, it is hard to see him in it but I feel it's for the best.  Out in public, people really don't say much.  His helmet has a cute design and everything! 

Again, just do everything you can (and it sounds like you are) to limit his time on his back.  Unfortunately, because of the torticollis, my DS rolled over very late (7 mos.) which didn't help the situation.  Hopefully your DS will be more mobile sooner and that will help.  The physical therapy will definitely help as well. 

Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08