Author Topic: Almost 9 months and I can't figure it out  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Beata

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Almost 9 months and I can't figure it out
« on: February 04, 2006, 14:37:37 pm »
DD is waking now between bedtime and 1 am about 3-4 times. She'll settle right away (I do pd as she stands).

1-We cut out all night feeds about 10 nights ago  ;D
2-She falls asleep feeding, but I wake her (although I am not really convinced she is really awake)
3-I don't think it's a paci problem as 90% of the time her paci is still in her mouth when she's standing and crying.

ANy ideas?

It's gotten MUCH better in general, but I wish she would stop calling out for me.

And sometimes she cries, but settles herself.

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: Almost 9 months and I can't figure it out
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:05:14 am »
Ah Beata - that Cate sure is giving you the run around!!!  I'm sorry that things aren't all fixed up by now.
Although I'm glad that it sure sounds like there have been some improvements.

2-She falls asleep feeding, but I wake her (although I am not really convinced she is really awake)

This is the thing that stands out to me.  Do you mean at the beginning of the night??  Or during the night??  If it is at the beginning of the night - I really think this is the problem.  We have had exactly the same thing with my DS and the only thing which has really helped is to make sure that he DOES NOT fall asleep during that final feed of the night.  It makes him mad that I sing or talk loudly to him to keep him awake (he tries to stick his fingers in my mouth to shut me up  :) :) sure there'll be plenty more of that as he gets older  ;)) but it has made all the difference to the night wakings.  The other thing you could try might be a book or something between the final feed and getting into bed - something to really break that association of feeding-bed. 

If my experience is anything to go by this takes a little while and ds was pretty mad at me for a while (in fact, still often is that I don't let him fall asleep during that feed) but our night wakings have virtually stopped (although we still have a feed at about 4).  One tip I have is to let Cate's Dad put her to bed while you are changing the routine - I still have trouble getting Fraser to sleep at night but his Dad can do it in about 10 minutes.

HTH
Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 09:23:42 am »
Beata, the other thing is she is in Prime "Separation Anxiety" stage, so she may actually just be needing you to be "reassured" I can tell you Liam who has always been a pretty good sleeper (I learnt from all the things I did wrong first time  ;)) has been waking up multiple times in the last week... he is taking a lot of effort to get back to sleep too & on one night I tried almost every trick I had in the book, but NOTHING worked & I have pretty much decided the cause is separation anxiety & TIME is going to be my answer.

BUT I do agree 110% with Jo, with Aiden I once I stopped letting him feed to sleep, it took a few weeks but the night wakings improverd no end... Liam does on the odd night, BUT as for the most part he goes to bed awake, Until this last week if he woke it was to feed & he always took a full feed.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Beata

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 15:44:03 pm »
Thanks ladies...I guess knew what the problem was but I did not want to admit it  ::)

I think I may try to feed her before her bath, then a book and bed...ooo is she going to be mad! The incentive is my mom is coming in a couple of weeks to watch her overnight while dh and I have a romantic weekend!!! And it will be nice having dh put her to bed in general. She's pretty good with him, but of course he doesn't have the "goods."

Quote (selected)
has been waking up multiple times in the last week... he is taking a lot of effort to get back to sleep too & on one night I tried almost every trick I had in the book, but NOTHING worked

I agree about the SA thing as well...and usually Cate will drop back to sleep in less than a minute, so it seems that she does need to know we are there, but once in a while when she wakes at 4 or 5 am, and is probably feeling really restless, it always takes 1-2 hours to settle, so I go in and out, staying out up to 5 minutes because 1) she's not really crying and 2) it tuckers her out faster. And when I was still feeding at night, at those times, she would eat, AND still stay aways for another 1-2 hours!!!

Anyway, thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.