Author Topic: Do you wake a sleeping baby during the day to keep him on schedule?  (Read 815 times)

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Usually Ben feeds through the day like clockwork - every 3 hours. His last feeding this morning was @ 7.30am, then he sat with Daddy for a bit, and when he got fussy I went out to get coffee and left Daddy to deal with the fuss for once (hee hee!) Anyway, Ben probably went down for his nap around 8.30/9am (he'd apparently had a *huge* meltdown after I'd gone) and is still sleeping. So, I'm left wondering if I should get him up and feed him since it's been just over 3.5 hrs since his last feed.

I think he may be embarking on his 6 week growth spurt, however. He ate every 2.5 hrs yesterday and didn't nap well at all. He's usually a great napper.

Anyway, just curious what you other moms do.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Do you wake a sleeping baby during the day to keep him on schedule?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:50:57 pm »
Hello Leanne,
sorry we missed your post, how did things turn out in the end?

In answer to your question, I can tell you what I do now, but I can't relate it to when my ds was the age of your lo, b/c he was on nowhere near as good a routine as yours, I'm so impressed that you've got him on a good routine already :)

Basically, I work on the premis that if he sleeps over on his nap time, there's usually a reason. If your lo had a huge meltdown, then he probably exhausted himself, and needs to catch up. If he goes over, say 5-10 minutes, I don't worry about it, but if it's much more than 1/2 an hour, then I will start to make soft noises outside his room, so that he stirs awake on his own, without me actually having to get him up. I don't leave it much more than that, b/c then that's setting up problems in the routine for the rest of the day.

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Re: Do you wake a sleeping baby during the day to keep him on schedule?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 13:34:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply! :) I think a half hour sounds like a good rule of thumb.

Ben actually started stirring shortly after I posted this, so I didn't have to make the call myself. Phew!  ;)

I'm really glad I've found these forums. It's so nice to get words of encouragement and feel like I'm on the right track with Ben. Thank you again!