Author Topic: Do you think I'm missing his sleep cues?  (Read 940 times)

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Do you think I'm missing his sleep cues?
« on: February 04, 2006, 18:28:10 pm »
Through the day Ben tends to eat, stay awake for a bit, and when I notice he's had a few good yawns (usually a half hour after finishing his bottle) I'll swaddle him up to get him ready for a nap. Usually when I swaddle him he gets really upset, bordering on mad... and it can quickly escalate to a meltdown, though not always. This is a pretty common occurance.

If I don't swaddle Ben he'll eventually get fussy, and mad, and the outcome is almost the same... although sometimes he'll just fall asleep on me, unswaddled.

Do you think it could be that I'm swaddling him when he's not really tired or that I'm missing his sleep cues and swaddling him when he's overtired?

When I get him ready for bed around 8pm (he's generally pretty pooped by this time of day) and when putting him back down through the night he doesn't do this. He just lets me wrap him up and he dozes off.

Thanks IA!

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Do you think I'm missing his sleep cues?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 22:21:43 pm »
How old is he and can you post a typical day for us  :)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Re: Do you think I'm missing his sleep cues?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 23:14:09 pm »
How old is he and can you post a typical day for us  :)

Sure!

Ben will be 6 weeks old on Tuesday, Feb. 7th.

He's usually up for the day around 7.30am, and here's the daytime routine (3hr EASY) that we typically cycle through:

E - ~20-30mins
A - ~20-30mins
S - ~1.5 - 2hrs

His final bottle is around 7.30pm, following which he gets a little massage, changed for bed, swaddled, and ~10 mins of rocking with me.

Through the night he wakes when hungry, eats well, then goes back down without a fuss. He doesn't protest being swaddled at night at all.

He can be really difficult to get down for his naps though. When he shows signs of sleepiness (a few good yawns) I'll swaddle him up and this is where the fussiness begins, but it's not just little complaints - as *soon* as he's swaddled he goes beet red, screams bloody murder, and kicks his legs. In the past I thought it might be gas and tried bicycling his legs, patting his back, etc. but it's never resolved anything, so I don't think that's it. Anyway, after walking him around, bouncing and patting him, I can generally calm him down enough to take his pacifier. Then if I continue to pat and rock him he'll start to drift off (eyes rolling back), at which point I put him down.

I've tried going the non-swaddle route and it just results in him fussing even longer. I find if I just bite the bullet, swaddle him (despite his protests), and rock and pat him he'll settle down quicker.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can pass my way. If there's any more info I can provide just let me know. :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 23:16:05 pm by Leanne »