Author Topic: Bath time help  (Read 2271 times)

Offline mtmom30

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 04, 2006, 21:21:14 pm »
Hello ladies,
I am hoping that someone can offer advice about how to deal with a slippery baby at bath time.  My daughter has just reached the stage where she can usually sit unsupported on the floor.  BUT, the bath tub is a different story - she tends to slide forward on her butt because the bottom of the tub is so slippery for her.  How do other mothers bathe their baby alone and actually get them clean?

I've tried putting a towel at the bottom of the tub for her to sit on.  That works for keeping her reasonably steady.  But how do you get their butts and thighs clean?  Those little mesh bath slings worked so well before, but now she is just too big.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Bath time help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 21:35:58 pm »
I have one of those rubber bath mats that suctions onto the bottom, works great (just like shower mats but long).  When it comes to washing her butt we just tip her backwards so her bum floats off the bottom of the bath and give a quick wash.  When my son could stand steadily, we ask him to stand, we wash and then he sits back down to rinse.

HTH

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 21:37:56 pm »
not sure where you live , but here in th uk i use a non slip rubber bath mat, no slippery baby, it's brilliant i even take it on holiday with me.we also have a little plastic bath chair that has suckers at the bottom.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Jennİ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:10:13 am »
Good ideas, but how do you keep them from sliding out of the sling until they can sit?  DD is a major wiggle worm.  I'm thinking of putting those arm floaty things on her.   :D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 06:04:49 am »
I never used a sling thing or anything, just put my arm behind her back and underneath her armpit and washed with the other hand, it was awkward, but didn't last too long.  Then as she was trying to sit up from the reclined position we went onto just letting her sit with our arm behind in the same position holding her armpit.  Outside of the bath she was sitting independently at 5mths, but it's probably only been since she was 8.5mths that we let her sit unassisted in the bath. 

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 13:05:19 pm »
William has always used a bath slope from birth which I will post a picture of - but now he is too big for it and like your LO can sit up on the floor but not in the bath - so I bought him a swivel bath seat.. he loves it and its great as I can still get to washi him and hes safe and sound.

H xx
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 13:07:04 pm by Ennypen »

Offline RosieMum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Mum to Rosie - Spirited/Angel Live in UK
    • Families Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 13:12:08 pm »
I just rested Rosie on my arm until she was ready to sit up, then I bought a bath support seat from ebay (one they can sit up in) and she used that for a good 3 months. £4 well spent :) Good luck xx
Come and visit us at Families Forum

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 13:44:28 pm »
Just curious, at what age did your LO outgrow the mesh sling thingy? I'm currently using one with Ben and love it. I'm sure we have a ways to go yet though.

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 10:48:40 am »
I use the Safer Bather bath pad made by Leachco. I think you can get it from Amazon. It's great; DS is comfortable in the bath and loves it.

Offline mtmom30

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 01:11:29 am »
Wow! These are all great ideas.  Thanks, everyone!   :)

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 07:49:45 am »
hiya!
we accidently ended up dealing with your situation very well!  i was on a month long visit back to Canada with my ds when his sitting became good enough that we could leave him on the floor with toys and pillows behind him... like you, this didn't seem like a good bathtime position tho...
we started filling the tub less and putting Ethan on his back in the bottom of the tub and it was fantastic!  he never had any water inhaling catastrophes (probably because water near his eye stopped him from turning his head too far) and he loved kicking, pushing himself up and down the bath and splashing and having ater poured over him.
by the time we got home from our visit, Ethan sat well enough that he sat in the bath with his old bath support (one of the wire ones with the cloth over it that babies lie back on) behind him and we lay him back onto it to wash his backside but let him sit with close supervision the rest of the time!
we always meant to get him a bath support, we just never got around to it and then suddenly we were coping fine without!
btw, i have heard that bumbos shouldn't be used in the bath but i did used to sit my ds naked in his when i needed to take him into the shower if he wouldn't settle to play by himself on the floor of the bathroom!  he used to get a kick out of watching me wash my hair (hair goes dark, hair grows foam, hair grows dark, hair grows towel, fantastic!)
HTH!

Offline dinah34134

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 21:30:21 pm »
THere is somethin called a bumbo seat i think, its a plastic seat looks like a bucket kinda and they can sit anywhere in it.. there is different brands too, alot use them in a tub.

the bumb chair i have says right on it it's not for to be used in water.  maybe what you're thinking of is something else?

we used the meshy thing until his head and legs were way past it.  :P  then we just layed him right on the bottom of the tub with like .5 inches of water. and carefull sat him up to wash him.

i've heard that you can just put a towel down on the floor of the tub in the water and it acts like a great non slip surface.

Offline RosieMum

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Mum to Rosie - Spirited/Angel Live in UK
    • Families Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 11:05:58 am »
It says on the box for the Bumbo that it shouldn't be used in water but the bath seat on the image above is really handy once LO's can sit up themselves :)
Come and visit us at Families Forum