Author Topic: Teach fast nippple?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Teach fast nippple?
« on: February 04, 2006, 22:15:24 pm »
DS is currently still using a slow nipple on his Playtex nurser. The fast nipple seems to be too fast for him, and he gags and chokes when that is put on the bottle. Should I somehow be "teaching" him/get him used to the fast nipple or is he eventually going to get ready for that on his own? If he will get ready for it on his own, how do we know when it's time to switch up to a faster nipple?

Kind of a related question...what do you use the tri-cut nipples for?

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Teach fast nippple?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 22:32:29 pm »
Hello!!  :)

I believe there is a medium flow nipple available for Playtex?   But anywho  ;)  I always switched nipples when he/she seemed to be frustrated with it (pushing it away, drinking less, etc.) or when it started to take a long time to finish a feed.  Though you can't really "teach" them how to go to a faster one, it may take a day or two to get used to.  With my little ones, they choked/gagged a little bit during the first couple of minutes but then it got better.  I would say though that if they are choking/gagging through the entire feed, he probably isn't quite ready.  The other thing I did was poke a toothpick through the slow nipple to make the hole bigger, but not quite as big as the fast flow.

Good question on the tri-cut.  I wonder the same thing...I was thinking it was for babies that need cereal in their bottle?

HTH  :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 03:52:27 am »
We tried the tri cut with cereal and with food thickener.  She couldn't get anything out.  I think my parents used them for my brother who ate like he was starving all the time.    :D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 03:14:26 am »
Hi,
My ds has been on the fast flow nipple since he was 6 weeks.  He got to fusterated witht he slow flow and would eat, seemed to fall asleep before an ounce was in him.(Another reason why I could BF, he wouldn't suck or stay latched)
He still at almost 7 months chokes and coughs with it but does this with everything that goes in him.  My point, I also have a friend that her dd is13 months and still uses a slow flow nipple and loves it, won't take anyother.  so I don't think it really makes to much of a difference besides feeds are faster.  But that could be why my ds spits up non-stop :-\
Just wanted to let u know
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80