Author Topic: Our 1 year old started walking & now won't take her naps  (Read 893 times)

Offline mlindsey

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Our 1 year old started walking & now won't take her naps
« on: February 05, 2006, 14:18:54 pm »
Our 1 year old started walking & now won't take her naps.  It wouldn't be that bad if she wasn't so tired & fussy all the time.  For the first few weeks we tried putting her down for her naps & would end up getting her up after an hour of crying.  She was just too excited to sleep.  So then we decided that maybe she didn't need a nap...or we would wait until she was SO exhausted.  But she was so fussy after about 3 hours of being awake.  She wouldn't obey & cried often.  So we started more accidental parenting to get her to sleep.  My husband starting walking her until she was almost asleep & then put her down.  This worked often.  However, it doesn't work for me.  I'm pregnant with our 2nd child & can't walk her for very long.  When i put her down, she pops right back up.  It doesn't matter if she's been up for 5 hours!!  So now we need to break the walking habit.  Today I put her down for her nap (after 3 hours of awake time...when she was obviously sleepy).  She cried off & on (occassionally screaming) for 30 min.  I went in a patted her back for a few minutes & left the room.  & it made her really angry.  She cried & screamed for another 12 minutes.  I went in & picked her up for only about a minute.  When i put her down, she screamed...but after another 5 minutes, she was out.  I really want to be consistent.  Should i not pick her up?  Or should i gradually increase the minutes before i go in & pick her up?  i want to add more structure to her day...but every day is so different.  Often she wakes during the night as well.  & so she is very tired during the day.  She is cutting teeth right now & i'm putting her on regular milk.  She is very touchy...so every little change affects her sleeping.  Should i just try to be consistent & put her down after 3 hours of awake time no matter what & if she sleeps, she sleeps.  She is just fighting sleep so much right now.  She used to go to sleep so easily & take great naps.  What should i expect or work towards? 
Thanks for any suggestions.
Misty

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Our 1 year old started walking & now won't take her naps
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 20:53:25 pm »
Hi Misty,
My dd is a month behind you and is having the same trouble with napping.  Do you have the BW  book?  Look at the chapter on PU/PD.  You only do the pd at this age and it is working wonders on my dd.  Also talking in a soothing voice helps Tori by letting her know that I am there and after the initial fight, she will settle.  She also is trying to go down to 1 nap and so we have moved her bedtime earlier until we work out a new routine.  HTH and good luck!
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05