Author Topic: Shush pat- help please!!  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Beam79

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: February 05, 2006, 16:28:50 pm »
hello, my baby is four months old and I have been swaddling him and shush-patting himm to sleep for most of his napos for about two months....I am confused as in Tracy's first book she says to stop the shush-pat once LO is quiet so that you don't end up becoming a prop and baby needing the shush-pat all the time, but in the second book (solves all your problems) she says to keep shush-patting until LO is in a deep sleep.....Am I becoming a prop for him to sleep as he doesn't seem to be able to get to sleep without the shush pat. The only sleep he goes down happily for is the first mortning sleep (we get up at 7am and he has sleepy cues by 8am) so I lie him swaddled in his cot and after a bit of grunting he falls asleep. The rest of the day is an absolute fight! I try to get him itno bed as soon as he fusses/rubs eyes/yawns but he cries as soon as I start to swaddle himj, I take him into the room and try and sit quietly with him to wind down but he gets in a state then I have to shush pat for a good 10 mins or more somtimes...then after 45 mins he wakes up and I shush-pat again to try and get him to sleep longer, sometimes he cries so much I have tyo give up and get him up. The he is tired and cranky.
Can anyone suggest anything or reassure me that I won't still be shush pattinh him when he is 18??? Any suggestions gratefully rec'd! Thank you x

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 20:49:34 pm »
You might try starting to just place your hand on his back to let him know that you are there.  If he stirs just shhh and pat until he settles then just hold your hand there and say nothing unless he stirs again.  THis is what I did with dd and it seemed to work.  You will make it through this just hang in there!  HTH  :D
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline Beam79

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
Thank you! Do you mean place my hand on him when he starts to come out of thr sleep cycle after 40 mins or so? Is that what you did? I am worried that I will always have to shush-pat him as he seems to need it for almost all sleeps! I am just hoping he will get better at settling himself and that I don't become the prop!

Thanks x

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 14:32:39 pm »
Exactly!!  Just sneak into the room and be ready to put a hand on him or even shh/pat through the transition to deep sleep at 40 min.  This would work with Tori and it extended her naps.  It may take a couple of days (and may not work every time  ::)) but after a while they will not need you to help them anymore.  The first couple of days as soon as he stirs put your hand on him and if he doesn't settle shhh/pat.  THen after a day or two, just watch first to see if he will settle himself.
I ALWAYS feel like a behavior will never get better but it always has.  You will not be shhh/patting much longer.  Just be consistent and it will get better!
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline Beam79

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 15:15:10 pm »
Thanks Jaki, I will try that. We are trying to transition to 4 hr EASY too so it's all a bit stressful-I am getting cabin fever! Thanks for the tips. x